Why Is This Happening To My Butter Cakes

Decorating By Cynita Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 8:57pm by lilthorner

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 8

I've been using the butter cake recipe from Wilton for some time now. It has always worked out great for me until my last couple of bakings. For some odd reason I have found that the inside of the cake has been really dense with a rubbery hard translucent texture(only certain areas of the cake). It looks like an almost wet look, but it's not wet. It's very firm and sort of translucent. It's kinda hard to describe, but if anybody have experience that or know what I'm talking about let me know and if you've cured your problem also let me know. Could this come from the mixing process????

TIA,
Cynita

7 replies
lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 8

Have you changed brands of the products that you use for this? That could make a difference. Or maybe the heat/humidity? I haven't used that recipe, so I can't be of much help.

Cynita Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 8

I some time change between my butters. Sometimes it's the Publix brand or the Land O Lakes. But everthing else remains the same.

mydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydelights Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 8

I experienced such condition a few times in the past when I made chiffon cake (not sure whether you call it angel cake here). Chiffon cake requires vegetable oil to be added in at the last. It happened when the oil was not mixed in thoroughly.

Cynita Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 8

any more suggestions on this topic

Thanks,
Cynita

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:54am
post #6 of 8

Possible causes: too much flour, flour that has too high a protein content, not enough sugar or shortening, and/or overmixing.

Here's more info on why a cake becomes rubbery and how to fix:

http://www.ochef.com/625.htm

HTH

Cynita Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks JanH, that was very informative. I sure has helped.

Cynita

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 8

could also be underbaking

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%