How Long Did It Take You.....

Decorating By krazeekaker Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 3:09am by KoryAK

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 13

I was just wondering what was the longest amount of time or days you've spent on one of your hardest cakes to do. It would be great if you could post pics of them too. I'm just amazed at some of the cakes on this site and I'm curious as to how long some of them actually took.

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 13

All of my cakes can be done in one day. I may bake/crumb coat one day and ice/decorate the next, (which is how I had to do it when I had a full time job) but I prefer just to Git-R-Dun!! Any flowers (BC) that need made ahead of time, I usually make the night before or while the cakes are baking.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 13

Hawaiian wedding cake took a week and a half to do. The sweet sixteen I did for my DD in june took me 2 weeks to complete. (Had alot of sculpting and crafting for the decorations that had to dry for days) But they are all worth it!

I've got all my cakes posted in my pics....thanks for looking!

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 13

My longest cake to make was my Father's Day beer cooler and bottles. I couldn't find the right stuff to make the bottle molds so I had to make them in 2 separate pieces. I also hand painted all the fondant labels. So with that and dry time for the pieces it was probably a good 3-4 days of working on it. Worst part was that he didn't even look at it when it was done because he was mad at me icon_cry.gif Oh well the kids and I ate it and it sure tasted good! It is posted in my photos if you want to look. I actually didn't like the way it turned out myself but it was a learning experience!

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:10am
post #5 of 13

whew! i thought i was the only one that took a long time on some cakes. hence the reason why i asked the question...lol i just thought i was inept and out of my element. i always get the same reaction when i tell people how long it takes to do a particular cake...why does it take THAT long???...i just thought i was a slow worker.

coreenag-i love your beer cooler and bottles cake. i've wanted to try one but haven't gotten the courage to do the bottles yet.

mom-your cakes are amazing! wish i can do mine like yours one day!

indydeb-i've seen so many of your cakes on here and i'm always amazed.

thanks for answering my question...ya'll have eased my mind alot.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:28am
post #6 of 13

my longest cake took me 3 days and my son had to help me. it was for my daughter's bridal shower. after that, i didn't dare do the wedding cake. i don't have the shower cake on my pics, but it was a 3 layer 14" square with a 3 layer 10" square on top. Vanilla cake with rasberry filling and buttercream icing. It didn't take that long to decorate, just bake the darn things with only one oven. I had to freeze the layers so my son and I could put them on top of each other without breaking them. It was just a simple border with fresh flowers on top. It weighed about 25 lbs because we had a lot of people to feed and I was obsessed about having enough.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:36am
post #7 of 13

the longest it's ever taken me was 3 weeks for the bridal shower chuckwagon cake i did, but that's only because of all the individual peices that had to dry before i could assemble it.

on average from mixing and baking till completion and ready to go out the door, i'm at an average of 15 hours, it seems.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #8 of 13

I hand rolled grape clusters for my daughters 6-tier cake six months in advance. I sure was tired of sugarpaste after that!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:46am
post #9 of 13

For my first wedding cake, (the photo in my Avatar), I did a lot of little gumpaste flowers. I probablly worked on that thing for two months, because I was trying to make them from fondant! They of course weren't turning out, and that was when I discovered CC and learned about gumpaste. But there were so many teeny tiny flowers on that cake (hydrangeas) that it took me for-e-v-e-r. I think now I could do it faster, because it was trial and error. I think I started those flowers in January for something that was in March. icon_lol.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #10 of 13

My longest cake was the castle cake I did for my grandaughter's birthday last year. I don't have it in my photos because I couldn't get it all done and I was late getting it to her party. Only the front had the vines and flowers. I think I spent about 24 hours on it all total counting the preliminary work. It would have fed a 100 but she only had 20 at her party but I had no clue how to cut it down and get the same effect. I have it in my cake photo album and I have said if anyone else wants to have one like it It will be $400 -$500 My grandaughter was thrilled so it was all worth every minute.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:50am
post #11 of 13

The longest it has taken me so far to make a cake is 4 days. It was a groom's cake which the bride wanted to be shaped like a salmon. I thought it was so ugly that I didn't even take a picture of it! But the bride liked it, it looked just like the picture she gave me but I hated it.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:52am
post #12 of 13

The cake that took me the longest was my under the sea shower cake. Just because it took so long modeling all of the sea creatures, pouring the chocolate shells, making pearls, didn't make any money doing this cake, but had alot of fun trying new things.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #13 of 13

I have plenty of cakes that would have taken a couple of days... if I wasn't such a procrastinator!! I do split up the prep: baking on Wednesday, filling on Thursday, and decorating on Friday. Friday in the summer is usually an all-nighter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%