Wow!!

Decorating By whippingcream Updated 16 Sep 2006 , 1:24pm by whippingcream

whippingcream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whippingcream Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 8

Looking at those wonderful cakes you all had made really make me......."WOW"! icon_surprised.gif

After the Wilton 1 to 3, how did you all manage to do all those complicated
deco on your cakes?? All those pretty figure models etc........My brain just stop at Wilton 3........how did you all go beyond that??! icon_eek.gif

7 replies
mrboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrboop Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 8

Lots of how-to books and asking queations here at CC.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 8

Many hours spent here learning from everyone and looking at all the pictures gave me lots of inspiration! And the forums too....there is always something to learn. Actually, I have spent way too many of those hours at the computer 'learning' instead of actually practicing. icon_redface.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:36am
post #4 of 8

...yep, pretty much this site...everyone is sooo helpful!!!

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 3:02am
post #5 of 8

Once you get the basics down, you are pretty much able to teach yourself anything because they are all based on the basics. I also learned most of my skills on the job. I tell people it took me 10 years to get as good as I am because for 10 years, I have practiced, learned, researched, read, practiced, practiced some more. Also get a lot of inspiration from others. Challenge yourself. Even as a professional, I still learn new tips and tricks all the time.

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 7:25am
post #6 of 8

i took the three wilton classes but as i was taking them i was also doing research like going to the bookstore and looking at the cake books there. from that point i became really interested and i wanted to expand from wilton courses. its all really simple to do too. just remember to have fun!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 7:37am
post #7 of 8

Practice! If you don't want to make tons of cake, get a dummy and use that. When my business partner and I started, we would make a cake, ice it, then decorate it, scrape it, and start over and over... Sometimes the poor cake was in sorry shape after we beat it up, but we got to practice our smoothing and decorating techniques. Each cake you will learn something - we took photos and wrote notes on them too.

Best of luck! At least you can eat your practice cakes and mistakes!

whippingcream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whippingcream Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all your advices! It a good idea to use a dummy, however, what kind of preparation work do I have to do to the dummy, in order for me to reuse it again and again.....I mean do I have to lay a kind of protection sheet on the dummy before use??? icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%