Odd But Great Tasting Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By dragonwarlord1969 Updated 6 Jul 2005 , 3:04pm by blueskies

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everybody!!!!

I will be posting my baby shower cake I did for my cousin as soon as I get the film developed. My Aunt gave me her buttercream recipe she used when she used to decorate cakes in the late 70's. I'd thought I'd share it everybody. The flavor is incredible! BUT! the only down side is it does NOT crust. It also stays shiny and looks almost like fondant.

Buttercream

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter

Cream well, add:

2/3 cup warm milk

Beat until sugar is completely dissolved and of spreading consistency.

Add vanilla to taste.

If anybody has a crusting version of this recipe, please let me know. It was difficult to transport because of the non-crusting.

Joe

10 replies
cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not understanding the crusting and non crusting of icing...
I thought if it crusted you could smoothe it out with viva paper towels....
WHAT"S THE DIFFERENCE?????
That recipe sounds good....
TIA
cakegal

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 11

That's different. Did you decorate with it? How did it hold up? I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 11

That sounds really good! I might try it on a practice cake...if anything else maybe it could be used as a filling! Thanks for the recipe!
traci

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 5:51am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegal

I'm not understanding the crusting and non crusting of icing...
I thought if it crusted you could smoothe it out with viva paper towels....
WHAT"S THE DIFFERENCE?????

Dragon was saying that this recipe doesn't crust, so he is looking for a similar recipe that will crust. You can only use the paper towel trick with a crusting icing.

Jess

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 9:10am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies

That's different. Did you decorate with it? How did it hold up? I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Blue!

I decorated 2 cakes with it. It pipes really smooth, it's easy to work with. I'll be posting the pics soon!

Joe

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 11:16am
post #7 of 11

I have a recipe that is quite similar to this one and it doesn't crust either. Actually, it's not very stable to work with and can't really be decorated on vertically (as in the sides of cakes--for swags and such).

However, for all my "family" cakes, if I don't use it, then they whine! lol!! So--recently I've been icing the tops of the cakes with that and the sides with Dawn's bc--incorporating the differences into my design. I'll be posting my dd's 2nd bday cake in a few minutes and you'll get the idea.

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Lisa

blueskies Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, Joe! I'm going to try it on my next cake. I LOVE having new recommendations to play with! icon_smile.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 9:36am
post #9 of 11

just bumping for those who have not seen this recipe or has a crusting version of it.

Joe

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 11

Could you add a little meringue powder to make it crust? I'm making a practice cake this evening, I may give this a try! Sounds yummy, thanks for sharing Joe!

blueskies Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

Could you add a little meringue powder to make it crust? I'm making a practice cake this evening, I may give this a try! Sounds yummy, thanks for sharing Joe!

I was wondering if that would work...it seems like it would. If you try it, let us know the outcome. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%