How Do I Turn A Cake Recipe Into...

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 22 Jul 2007 , 11:51pm by miriel

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 17

How do I turn a cake recipe into a cookie recipe??? After baking my Red Velvet cake tonight, I came up with a fabulous idea. My cakes had to bake a little longer than usual due to the increase in batter. Because they had to bake longer, the tops became a little hard and crunchy. When I cut off the tops, I tasted them and they were sooooooooooo delicious! And the edges were crunchy just like a cookie. So I thought to myself that Red Velvet Cookies would taste so good!!! Plus, I could probably sell them to my Bridal customers for their Shower or Wedding. I couldn't believe how good they tasted. Usually I throw away the parts I cut off (after I've had my fill of them icon_wink.gif ) but this time I put them in a container to take to work. There was no way I Was going to part with those chopped off delicious little things icon_razz.gif

So technically, what is the difference between a cake recipe and a cookie recipe?

Thanks,
Lazy_Susan

16 replies
Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 17

Anyone??? I was so excited that I would get responses back!

Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 17

*doing the bump*

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 17

On a box of DH dark chocolate fudge cake mix here is a list of ingredients for cookies and for cakes so you can see the difference.

Regular Cake:
Cake Mix
3 eggs 1-1/3 c water
1/2 cup oil

Cookies:
Cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 c butter
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla ext
6 oz choc chips
1/2 c chopped nuts

Hope this helps a little.

Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccorda

On a box of DH dark chocolate fudge cake mix here is a list of ingredients for cookies and for cakes so you can see the difference.

Regular Cake:
Cake Mix
3 eggs 1-1/3 c water
1/2 cup oil

Cookies:
Cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 c butter
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla ext
6 oz choc chips
1/2 c chopped nuts

Hope this helps a little.

Thank you for responding. I've been waiting for someone to reply. This kind of helps me. Thank you

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 17

Do you have the cake mix doctor book? In the back she list 3-4 cookie recipes from cake mixes.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 17

My DH is usually right there when I level my cakes. He loves those tops and so do I. LOL, he finally figured out how to get cake ever time where he used to complain because I was making cakes for everyone else and he didn't get any. Red velvet cookies sound good. Good luck!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 17

MMMMM Susan!!! When you figure out the Red Velvet Cookies, please let me know. That is one of my favorite cakes!!! I wish I could get someone to order one (all anyone ever seems to want is WHITE CAKE....) I'd love to munch on those scraps!

mccorda Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 17

I realize you are probably doing the red velvet from scratch. What recipe are you using for the red velvet? The one from CC (Sarah's) or do you have a different one you like? Maybe if we see the ingredients, we might be able to make a few more suggestions. It sounds like it would be fun to experiment.

Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:

I realize you are probably doing the red velvet from scratch. What recipe are you using for the red velvet? The one from CC (Sarah's) or do you have a different one you like? Maybe if we see the ingredients, we might be able to make a few more suggestions. It sounds like it would be fun to experiment.

What a great idea! Here is my recipe. It's soooooo delicious!

Southern Red Velvet Cake

2 1/2 cups All-Purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla.

Using a stand mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.

Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared pans. Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pans. One at a time, invert the cakes onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack, rounded-sides up. Let them cool completely.

Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

*doing the bump*

I knew if I danced for y'all I'd get responses! LOL

mccorda Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 17

Shoot, I can't stay and play right now. My husband wants me to help paint the garage. (It's a gorgeous day outside for it!!)

First thought on your recipe is to decrease the liquid. Try maybe the buttermilk powder instead of real buttermilk. Paste food color for the liquid (smaller amount of course) Sub butter for the oil.

I'll be back later.

Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Shoot, I can't stay and play right now. My husband wants me to help paint the garage. (It's a gorgeous day outside for it!!)

First thought on your recipe is to decrease the liquid. Try maybe the buttermilk powder instead of real buttermilk. Paste food color for the liquid (smaller amount of course) Sub butter for the oil.

I'll be back later.

Fabulous ideas! Hurry back. I have to go soon too. I have to go to sleep cause I have to work tonight. But I would like for everyone to please keep the ideas coming. I'll be back on tonight.

mccorda Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 17

Sorry double post.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Check these beauties out!

http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2007/02/red-velvet-cake-sandwich-cookies.html

Yeah I saw those when I did a search. I just wasn't so sure about the recipe since it was so different from mine. I guess it would be worth a try though. Thanks for doing a search for me.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Check these beauties out!

http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2007/02/red-velvet-cake-sandwich-cookies.html

Those look yummy! I'll try them out this week if I have time. Thanks for the link. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%