Help With Idea!!! For 12" Cake..

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 1 Jul 2005 , 8:25pm by momof3jotynjake

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 11

I got an order for sat. for a 12" cake... beach theme... she likes the idea of flip flops... HELP!! ive seen the flip flop cake.. do you think i can make one of those.. and just put 1 flop on the cake?
if so.. how do you make these cakes?? or if anyone has any other ideas?

thank you!!

10 replies
cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 11

If it were me.... I'd bake the 12" cake.... and do your thing with the icing/ filling...etc.... Then I would make a batch of MMF.... and break a few pieces off for the strap part..color this to whatever color you need... and some flowers to put where the toe thingy goes........make the bottom of the flipflops white.or a lighter color....or whatever.....if you have some impressin mats...give it some texture.... make them at least 1/2" thick...they don't have to be gigantic.... That's what I would do anyways.... the MMF is real easy to make....and I think I'm going to be a big fan of it...
Hope this helps you..
cakegal

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 11

Hi momofthree! I did a small cake for someone that had a beach theme last week. I loved the idea of the flip flops, but knew there would not be enough room on the cake to cut them out of pound cake. So what I ended up doing was this...I traced the souls of my 3 year old's shoes to make a pattern. I frosted my cake like normal and let the icing crust. Then I did a gel transfer of just the souls side by side on the cake. I then traced them with buttercream and filled them in with tip 16 stars(hot pink). Then I used some edible pearls for the straps...but you could use icing. I then put graham crackers around the shoes for sand. It looked sooooo cute and the little girl loved it! I wish I had a picture to show you, but I have not yet developed the film! Anyway, I hope that all made sense! icon_razz.gif
traci

momof3jotynjake Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 12:21am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

Hi momofthree! I did a small cake for someone that had a beach theme last week. I loved the idea of the flip flops, but knew there would not be enough room on the cake to cut them out of pound cake. So what I ended up doing was this...I traced the souls of my 3 year old's shoes to make a pattern. I frosted my cake like normal and let the icing crust. Then I did a gel transfer of just the souls side by side on the cake. I then traced them with buttercream and filled them in with tip 16 stars(hot pink). Then I used some edible pearls for the straps...but you could use icing. I then put graham crackers around the shoes for sand. It looked sooooo cute and the little girl loved it! I wish I had a picture to show you, but I have not yet developed the film! Anyway, I hope that all made sense! icon_razz.gif
traci

oooo that sounds cute!!!
was the whole sandle hot pink??
man I wish you had a picture lol

i made an 8" also.... i was going to cute flops out of that.. little ones. i have a 4 year old,, i can trace his.. and put that on top of the 12"?? hmmm now i dont know what to do!! LOL!

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 1:48am
post #5 of 11

Those flip flop cakes are really popular now! I haven't tried one, but I'll have to soon! Let us know how it turns out!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:09am
post #6 of 11

Those cakes ARE adorable and I was so hoping my 12 year old would want a luau theme for her b-day july 30th since we have a pool and I own some great decorations for it...but she wants an Oriental themed party icon_cry.gif Oh well...I am sure we will have fun with it..and it is what she wants

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:43am
post #7 of 11

Hi momof3! I did the whole flip flop pink....but you could make any design...maybe dots or flowers! I know you will do a great job! I can't wait to see pics! Anyway...I will have to wait about a week to look...we are moving tomorrow and I will not have DSL until the 11th! icon_sad.gif
traci

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 11

Hey Kayday,

How about a cake that looks like japanese sandles?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 11

Hmmmm we have 2 birthdays here in our office... I'll have to do one of those flip flop cakes for one lady... the other is turning 50 so she's gonna get a really good one icon_wink.gif

kimh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimh Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 11

This is a picture of one I did as a practice cake after my first class. I was just playing around. I thought it turned out cute.
LL

momof3jotynjake Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 11

thanks for al your help everyone!! the cake is done!! i made a new post on it.. and its in my photos!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%