Raspberries Minus The Seeds!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 22 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm by SweetResults

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:59am
post #1 of 18

Okay, so I am making my raspberry filling for the wedding cake I have to do for next Saturday. I decided to make this a seedless raspberry filling. I am putting the filling through a strainer. Mine you my strainer isn't very big. Maybe a 4 cup size if it held liquid.

Is there a more efficient less time consuming way to do this? What I am doing is doing the job for sure but it does take a while. Do I just need a bigger strainer?

Thanks so much everyone!

Amy

17 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:04am
post #2 of 18

I put mine through a strainer, and kind of swirl a spoon around the bottom so the liquid can get through....

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:07am
post #3 of 18

Is the filling cooked, or can it be Zapped in the microwave for a few seconds? It will strain more quickly/easily if it's warm.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:12am
post #4 of 18

Hee hee - the fastest way I know is to buy SEEDLESS Rasberry preserves LOL! I'm a cheater! icon_smile.gif

True if you zap it, it will flow easier and do the spoon swirly thing too.

Bethwmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethwmi Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:16am
post #5 of 18

I strained about 90% of the seeds out of raspberry jam for a filling once. Just once. After that, I decided the seeds weren't so bad! (I did it like you are, with a mesh strainer)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:21am
post #6 of 18

Not really. The best thing to use is a chinois/china cap because you can hang it on a deep bowl and just have at it without worrying about losing it over the edge of teh strainer. If you have never seen a china cap this is what they are http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/156/CLID/809/N/86643/China_Cap_Strainer.htm. I always strain my raspberry filling.. nothing worse than eating a piece of cake laced with hard crunchy seeds. thumbsdown.gif

cakemommy Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:21am
post #7 of 18

Hey, thanks everyone!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

TEE HEE HEE!!!! Buying seedless is really the easy way to go huh?? I didn't have enough time to order any from the time I got this cake order. The bride asked me 3 weeks b4 to make her cake. The last person backed out!!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Anyway, I will get a bigger strainer next time I get the BRIGHT icon_confused.gif idea and do this!!!! I'm glad I'm doing it the way all of you all do it. Makes me feel like I know what I am doing ya know? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

BTW, yes it is a cooked filling. I just cooked it and I'm going to reheat what I have left!

Thanks so much everyone!

Amy

cakemommy Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:31am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Not really. The best thing to use is a chinois/china cap because you can hang it on a deep bowl and just have at it without worrying about losing it over the edge of teh strainer. If you have never seen a china cap this is what they are http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/156/CLID/809/N/86643/China_Cap_Strainer.htm. I always strain my raspberry filling.. nothing worse than eating a piece of cake laced with hard crunchy seeds. thumbsdown.gif

Thank you ! I definately know what kind of strainer that is. I was a food prep cook at an Italian restaurant and used that strainer all the time for pasta and meat balls.

Amy

cakemommy Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:42am
post #9 of 18

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH, it's so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to do that with blackberry filling..................ONCE!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

Amy

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:06am
post #10 of 18

I use a Squeezo.

cakemommy Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:14am
post #11 of 18

Okay! icon_confused.gif What's a Squeezo! Sounds like fun!!! icon_razz.gif

Amy

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:20am
post #12 of 18

lol yep I'm curious to know what the heck a squeezo is too.

chloe1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe1979 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:32am
post #13 of 18

Wow! I didn't realize I had such a treasure in my basement! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Those things are 67 bucks, and my grandma gave one to me a while back. I thought about selling it at a garage sale for a buck but won't do that now!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

cakemommy Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:53am
post #14 of 18

A Squeezo???!?!?!! What is it?

Maybe I should just look it up!

Okay, just looked it up! $189.00!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

How in the world does that take seeds out??? It must have it's own strainer in there. I wish there was a view of the innards! It certainly looks like a great way to make apple sauce and mash pineapple for a filling.

Amy

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:03am
post #15 of 18

I know that my local wholesaler carries frozen jars of seedless raspberry puree, really high quality stuff. The jars are probably about 2# each and I remember doing the math once and it came out cheaper than straining the IQF raspberries once you account for all the lost weight in seeds... and that doesn't even count your time! icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:10am
post #16 of 18

Here's one. I have had mine for 21 years with never a replacement part. I use it quite a bit in season. It has different screens for everything from removing tiny seeds to processing pumpkins.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 18

Oooooh!! I have seen those. Very nice! I can't justify one right now, but man I want one. LOL

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm
post #18 of 18

Welch's Squeezable Seedless Red Raspberry spread - straight from the grocery store to the mirco (to warm a little for easier spreading) and onto my cakes LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%