What Fondant Do You Use?

Decorating By sarzoemom Updated 16 Sep 2006 , 12:28pm by Landa

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:56am
post #1 of 14

I am just wondering what is the most popular fondant to use on cakes. I use homemade rolled fondant to cover my cakes with but use Wilton fondant to decorate my cakes with because the other is too soft for my liking. Just curious what others use.

Thanks
Lisa

13 replies
boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 14

When I was in the States I used Satin Ice, it was great I wish I could get it here in Australia.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 14

Definitely the MMF - the Wilton is not so tasty icon_smile.gif and the MMF is so easy and inexpensive to make. It is easy to decorate with, but i like to use gumpaste for anything that needs to stand up or be really thin.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 14

I do not cover cakes with fondant. I only ice in bc or ganache. I make my own fondant for decorations. The recipe I use is very easy to work with. As a hobbyist I feel free to make this decision because I am not out to increase a business. I only do cakes I want to do for friends and family.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 14

I use homemade mmf but for practice dummies that no one will be eating I sometimes use Wilton. I would love to try Satin Ice because I hear its easy to work with & tastes good but its expensive compared to making cheap mmf. I've been thinking of trying Debbie Brown's fondant (sugar paste, I think is what she calls it) recipe, anyone tried it and liked it?

Landa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landa Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 14

I bought some Satin Ice and I tasted it today for the first time. It tastes really good.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:49am
post #7 of 14

I have tried many and my favourite is FONDX, needless to say I stopped testing them all once I found fondx.

Great taste. Little soft to work with but you get used to it. Its so yummy.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 2:56am
post #8 of 14

SATIN ICE ... i HATE making MMF and would rather spend the $$$ on the Satin Ice then have to make batches and batches of MMF.

AND Satin Ice tastes YUMMY. You would actually Want to eat this fondant, not at all like the disgusting crap Wilton makes.

Caykes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caykes2 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 3:05am
post #9 of 14

Satin Ice to eat and Wilton mix with gumpaste for stand up decorations.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 3:13am
post #10 of 14

I have only tried mmf and wilton. I use the mmf for decorations and wilton for covering an entire cake with. I really want to try the Satin ice.

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 8:53am
post #11 of 14

MMF, all the way baby!

I used Wilton for years until I discovered MMF earlier this year. People will actually eat it now! The other ones I did with Wilton, it tasted so horrible that people would peel it off and I'd constantly apologize for it but make sure they knew it wasn't homemade and feel bad about it. I've used Satin Ice and it works wonderfully well, it's just the cost that's involved. I mostly do cakes for friends and family, and usually do WAY more than they ask for, cuz I always want to push myself to learn something new. I'm already losing money by not charging enough for my cakes, and if I used Satin Ice which is so expensive, I'd really be digging myself a hole! Besides, it makes me feel better to know that it's homemade, although I do use boxed cake mixes and always get rave reviews on that too! Recently, I've had to buy a box of Wilton, but only for decorations that needed to stiffen up in a hurry, like the mask on a football helmet that I did. Even when I add Tylose to MMF, it never really hardens, and I'm doing a bulldozer cake this weekend, and I suspect I'll use some more Wilton for some of those decorations as well. The Wilton is stiffer and easier to mold into certain shapes. But I'll never cover a cake with it again. Ugh. Just the smell makes me naseous. It amazes me that they even put out a product that tastes so nasty.

I've tried Bekel's Pettinice too, but I didn't like the taste or working with it as much as MMF or Satin Ice.

So there's my two cents worth! Hope it helps!

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 9:12am
post #12 of 14

Where do you buy Satin Ice?

New cake lady

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 9:14am
post #13 of 14

Most cake decorating stores will have it. I've never seen it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or anywhere like that. You can get it online too, but I would imagine the shipping is really expensive.

Landa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landa Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:28pm
post #14 of 14

Intotheoven.com has a pretty good selection of Satin Ice and Xia ships quickly. I got mine in 3 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%