Charging Friends For Cakes

Business By cuteums Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 12:22am by spongemomsweatpants

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 29

How do you tell a friend who asks for a cake that you want them to pay for it? And how much do you charge? One of the cakes I was asked about would be a sheet cake that looks like a pregnant lady in a bathrobe. With the fondant accents and the baby bump cakes on top, how much can I charge her? (She knows how much specialty cakes can go for- she's a wedding planner)

28 replies
heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 29

Well at least she is aware of the cost & work that goes into these cakes. I would be up front & honest with her I would charge 75.oo if its a true sheet cake. If you still feel a little funny about it give her a 10-15% discount off this or whatever price you give her. But make her aware she is getting the discount. But keep in mind if you give her a discount now she may expect for cakes down the road. thumbs_up.gif

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 29

Maybe you could say " because we are such good friends I will give you a --% discount. Then she will know it is not a "freebie"

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 29

I'd never assume a friend of mine should do something like that for free! I'd hope she'd offer to pay and then allow you to offer the discount!

Sometimes subjects like this are uncomfortable to approach, but believe me it's far more uncomfortable to feel used, and it will strain your friendship.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 29

I had a friend call me and ask for an eagle scout cake to feed over 50 people. She wanted one like the one in my pics, w/ a fondant sculpted eagle medallion.

Since she is a friend I changed the $75 price to $45 thinking I was giving her a quality, custom, delicious cake for less than $1 a serving. She emails me back (didn't want to actually call me) and say she'll "pass." She didn't even offer to at least cover the ingredients or anything.

I go to the event (my husband was one of her son's scout leaders and asked to participate), and the grocery store cake w/ the big blobby American Flag on it was just lovely! icon_wink.gif

...you get what you pay for...

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenscent

Well at least she is aware of the cost & work that goes into these cakes. I would be up front & honest with her I would charge 75.oo if its a true sheet cake. If you still feel a little funny about it give her a 10-15% discount off this or whatever price you give her. But make her aware she is getting the discount. But keep in mind if you give her a discount now she may expect for cakes down the road. thumbs_up.gif

So true. The customer I did the Dr. Suess Book for (in my photos) paid $50 for that cake. I really wanted to try it so she got a lot of cake for little (it was stacked). She came back to me wanting a cake for her sister...something grand and exciting...sister loves Paris. I suggested the eiffel tower cake (RI tower built and standing on top of a cake). I still only charged $75 (still too low in my opinion), but she thought that was too much. My husband told me not to budge and if she opted to not go with me, so be it. She said "No Thanks." I recently did a "upright bass" for her for $50 again. This is the monster I created. I don't think she'll ever be willing to pay more than $50 for a cake. (Trust me, I won't continue doing them for $50) My point: I agree, be careful with the discounts for whatever reason.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 29

Call her and ask her what her budget for the cake is. That is one way to let her know she won't get it for free. : )

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 29

If they are a true friend and know that you do this for the extra money or you have a business, then they should never expect a free cake or major discount, unless, you offer it yourself. I take care of all the family cakes at our functions, that just my part of the party. My friends pay what all the rest of my customers pay, no deals. Only once did I do a free-bee. It was my high school dearest friend whose only child was getting married, I just made it my gift to her child, who grew up with my kids. If your in business you just can't keep giving discounts, you are in to make money.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 29

For me it really depends on the friend.

I have a few who I'd do for dirt cheap because they are great friends and wonderful people. icon_lol.gif

I have a few who I'd like to charge double or triple the cost on because they are not so wonderful people. icon_evil.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieinalaska

Call her and ask her what her budget for the cake is. That is one way to let her know she won't get it for free. : )

Very true:

Her: "Can you make me a cake for my blah-blah event?"
You: "Sure! How much were you looking to spend?"

Cuts the crap right out of the conversation from the git-go.

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 29

OMG I have to use that! I made a cake, for free, every weekend this month because I'm too nice to say no!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Very true:

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:09am
post #12 of 29
Quote:

Quote:

Very true:

I'm with indydebi, that's the exact line I use ESPECIALLY with work colleagues, just to make it clear without being rude or worrying about expectations. Because occassionally I do bring in cakes for a birthday or left overs and you need to make sure that the line is clear and separated! It means if they say oh I don't know who much is that such and such cake you did, you say X dollars. If they say oh like $40 I was looking for that such and such cake you did, you can say well that cake would cost $60, I can do it for $40 but it will only serve, or I can do a one tier version or maybe XYZ cake would better fit your budget.... it opens the lines of communication so your not sitting at home going oh dear I think they expect this for free. icon_biggrin.gif

cmeridge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeridge Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 29

I had a friend who I made a 11x15 sheet cake for her daughters birthday. She said that she would pay me. Now remember I am still new at this kinda thing. I called her to pick up the cake, then she told be that it can be my present to her 2 yr daughter. Our friendship hasn't been the same since. Beware.

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:04pm
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeridge

I had a friend who I made a 11x15 sheet cake for her daughters birthday. She said that she would pay me. Now remember I am still new at this kinda thing. I called her to pick up the cake, then she told be that it can be my present to her 2 yr daughter. Our friendship hasn't been the same since. Beware.

Geesh, good thing she didn't borrow your big screen TV and decide that was your anniversary present to her! icon_surprised.gif

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:47am
post #15 of 29

great question... infact, I had a friendship begin to deteriorate when I charged them for something I'd made, eventhough they initially offered. Sometimes it is assumed our time isn't worth anything because we enjoy what we do... I understand all about being taken advantage of as a creative type person...
I give plenty of "gifts" when I chose to, but I think it is rude for people to make assumptions.

(sorry if I am being negative- I've just learned the hard way)

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 29

I'm in a similar situation. A family member asked me to make a cake for someone she knows. I said that I've never sold a cake before and she said that this will be my first one. So she told me to think about and let her know. I accepted and asked her what size and flavor. She told me and then she said, "let me know what you need so I can get it for you"....I took that to mean that she would buy me the supplies and I would make the cake for free???
I told her I already have everything.
Now, I'm wondering if she thinks I'm gonna do it for free. I sure hope not. I was thinking of calling her up and telling her how excited I am to be selling my first cake, to kinda give her the hint that I expect payment.

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 29

what she can get for you? She can get you a check, that's what she can get for you! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:55am
post #18 of 29
Quote:

what she can get for you? She can get you a check, that's what she can get for you! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I prefer cash, but a check will do! lol

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:05am
post #19 of 29

Well, don't do what I did. A friend asked me for a cake, and after I told her how much it would be, she never responded. So one day about two weeks later I sent her an email, asked her if she was still interested, and when she said no, I wrote an email to my mom venting. Only I didn't send it to my mom, but to my friend! icon_redface.gif Definately in my top 3 of embarrassing stuff I've done. We really don't talk anymore. icon_rolleyes.gif But I have a sense of humor about it.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:10am
post #20 of 29

I agree with everyone. charging family and co-workers and friends is very tricky. I made a cake for a co-worker's daughter and of course everyone at work loved it and one co-worker said I want a frog cake for my b-day in december. well december came and went and till this day she will comment. "I never got my frog cake for my birthday" and I want to say "well you never ORDERED it"!!! I really think she was expecting me to just make her a birthday cake for free. I have 50 co-workers....I don't think so....LOL

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:16am
post #21 of 29

My friends and relatives have to pay for their cakes. If I choose to give a discount or free cake, that's up to me. I find that friends and relatives are sometimes the worst customers.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:20am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprica

great question... infact, I had a friendship begin to deteriorate when I charged them for something I'd made, eventhough they initially offered. Sometimes it is assumed our time isn't worth anything because we enjoy what we do... I understand all about being taken advantage of as a creative type person...
I give plenty of "gifts" when I chose to, but I think it is rude for people to make assumptions.

(sorry if I am being negative- I've just learned the hard way)

so true ,I love to make cakes for friends ,but it is very rude to assume that some one has nothing better to do ,or that you should get things for free.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:22am
post #23 of 29

I am so glad to see these replies! I am asked all the time to make cakes for free. I love to make them and love the practice, but my time is valuable and I need ingredients covered!!

I had 2 people ask me today if I would make them a cake....for FREE!! I actually stood tall and said NO. I was so proud of myself...then I felt bad, but didn't change my mind. I just didn't have the time that it would take....for FREE icon_lol.gif

I will ask next time how much they are looking to spend thumbs_up.gif , wonderful question! It's just too bad that people assume we have a tree in the back yard that drops supplies and time off of it for us to use!

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:30am
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Well, don't do what I did. A friend asked me for a cake, and after I told her how much it would be, she never responded. So one day about two weeks later I sent her an email, asked her if she was still interested, and when she said no, I wrote an email to my mom venting. Only I didn't send it to my mom, but to my friend! icon_redface.gif Definately in my top 3 of embarrassing stuff I've done. We really don't talk anymore. icon_rolleyes.gif But I have a sense of humor about it.

ummm- Been there, done that! Not my finest hour... icon_redface.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:33am
post #25 of 29

Great thread. I am definately going to use the "what is your budget line" I love it.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

Great thread. I am definately going to use the "what is your budget line" I love it.

I'll have to remember to use this response too!

On the Food Network Extreme cake challenge a few weeks ago, Elisa Strauss couldn't have said it better. She said something like...yeah people say oh you do cakes? But they don't know how long it takes to decorate. I was so glad to hear her say that.

Hopefully anyone watching that doesn't bake/decorate cakes will now understand it's not as easy as it seems. (I doubt it, LOL)

Elaine

tasty_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasty_treats Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:13am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with everyone. charging family and co-workers and friends is very tricky. I made a cake for a co-worker's daughter and of course everyone at work loved it and one co-worker said I want a frog cake for my b-day in december. well december came and went and till this day she will comment. "I never got my frog cake for my birthday" and I want to say "well you never ORDERED it"!!! I really think she was expecting me to just make her a birthday cake for free. I have 50 co-workers....I don't think so....LOL

Okay, I'll just use up all my free time (and money) making free cakes for all my coworkers?!? I don't think so either. Maybe when you get your birthday cake from your co-worker, you'll think about making them that frog cake... LOL birthday.gif

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:21am
post #28 of 29

I hate to say it but you are just going to have to ask your friend point blank what she expects. If you do this one for free she will expect more freebies in the future.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:22am
post #29 of 29

having just done a freebie cake for a friends sisters wedding (see my Please please tell me it's not that bad thread in cake disasters) I can honestly say I will never again do a cake for free. I have to go with IndyDebi's advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%