Planning For An Intense Wedding Cake

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 12:45am by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 12:29am
post #1 of 14

The wedding is in December, so I'm trying to plan it all out now before I start back in school full time in the fall. Won't have time to plan then.

Here is the picture she gave me. She wants it in buttercream though and with a red bow with green spirals coming out. Also, she wants some kind of sparkle design to the buttercream cakes. This will be my 2nd wedding cake and I feel out of my element on this one. http://www.cakechannel.com/images/Yvonne1.gif
(she know this but is adament about me making it since she knows me and I'm giving her a killer deal)
How would you go about doing a cake like this?
Also, she hates what the cake is on, What would you place the cake on instead? Thanks in advance!

13 replies
MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #2 of 14

Pretty cake!! How about setting it on a pretty framed mirror? You can find an example in my photos or a pretty silver cake plateau ( you can rent them from party rental stores).

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 12:40am
post #3 of 14

I have seen a few cakes on this site that are the present design--and they are quite beautiful. find them and PM the decorator for advice. Don't cut her too good a deal--that is one big, detailed cake! Good luck!

mkolmar Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:08am
post #4 of 14

Maybe it's just an excuse to buy another cake plateau. icon_lol.gif I wonder if a mirror would work for this, it's going to be a larger cake, wonder how big the mirror would have to be?
Or would something like light up glass block work--my dh is thinking that this may take away from the cake though?

She originally thought the cake would be for 300 people but has since changed that number too something less, I don't know what it is yet until closer to the date. The cake is going to be solid white cake inside and out. except for the bows. I'm charging about $1.79 per slice. Before anyone yells at me--her family closed down their meat store on their busiest day of the week, early the day of my wedding so they could attend and help out.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:21am
post #5 of 14

Yes, a cake plateau or a mirrorer base. I just can't like those puffy ruffled things, I think they take away from the beauty of the cake.

mkolmar Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:51am
post #6 of 14

I agree Shirley, I think they are pretty but take away from the cake.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:53am
post #7 of 14

I hate the cake pouf. It reminds of all the sleeves to my bridesmaid dresses in the 80's ( I was a bridesmaid 11 times). Since the cake is a pile of gifts, why not get a large foam piece and gift wrap it ?

mkolmar Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:31am
post #8 of 14

HA! HA! now I have those awful bridesmaid dresses in my mind!

I like the idea of the large foam piece. I'm going to have to finalize a lot of details with her. This may just have to be one of them since I don't have a mirror that size, cake plateau or a piece of foam that large. HMMM, time to go shopping icon_lol.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:35am
post #9 of 14

I had a bride bring me this pic a couple of years ago. pm me if you have any questions.

http://www.superstarpastrydesign.com/pictures/crooked%20packages.htm

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:38am
post #10 of 14

Just my take on the cake =)

With the white buttercream I would consider spraying it with super pearl dust. Do you have an air brush? I hear it works well. This will give it the sparkle effect without taking away from the bows etc.

I would do the bows the same way, do them with red fondant and then use red luster dust or pearl luster dust to give them the sparkle (oh that would be so pretty for a december wedding.

As for the cake base I think I would put it on a mirror or silver tray (i'm not good deciding on the bases yet, sometimes I just don't see it until the cake is done, which I know won't help on this one)

Also make sure she gets you a color swatch of the red and green she wants. There are so many variations in those colors you want to make sure it is what she is thinking. I would also suggest getting those bows made before you get back to school. Once they are set you can store them in a dark place so they won't fade. even if you only make all of the loops and assemble a week or two before hand it would still help quite a bit.

mkolmar Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:15am
post #11 of 14

That's a great idea with the super pearl dust. I just need to get an airbrush first, but I have time to hopefully save up as much as I can and bother my DH for the rest icon_lol.gif Boy, wishing an airbrush cake fairy will come down one night and leave me one.

I'll make up the loop bows now and just store them till later then in the darkest place in my storage room.

KoreyAK, I'll be in contact with you very soon over this cake!

hmmmm, I think I'm leaning towards using a mirror--I know someone who makes mirrors so hopefully they will give me a good deal.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:37am
post #12 of 14

Don't forget to make that side cake from styrofoam - won't work with real cake!!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:38am
post #13 of 14

I love that cake! My vote is for a mirror as well. I think it would look awesome. Good Luck! Can't wait to see the pics!

mkolmar Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:45am
post #14 of 14

Yep, I have to buy some fake cakes. This one definently needs a fake one to lean on the side.

Would the fake cake need to be done in fondant or royal? The regular cake is going to be done in buttercream, but I don't think that buttercream will work because it would get messed up to easy?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%