Cake Mix Exp Date

Decorating By emie Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 4:14pm by alise

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 9

I was looking through my cake mix & found one with an exp date of Apr,05. Would you use a mix that old? Thanks.

8 replies
ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 9

Wow! The only thing I'd be worried about would be the cake rising, but I'd probably still try it.

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 9

I wouldn't. Grain type products have weevil eggs that will hatch inside the packaging after a period of time. I wouldn't want to take the chance of having bugs in my cake.
If you want to read about these disgusting things...

http://www.pestproducts.com/weevils.htm

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 9

Bugs can be a problem. The first thing is to open the pkg. and give it a good shake, if nothing falls out, no bugs have evaded from the outside. Next is the weavel problem, and it is real. Open the bag and look, there can be webbing and live animals, or dead. They're not hard to spot. Ok, if you're past the bugs and all seems ok, you can cook it. But, the flavor may well have deteriorated. For the price of a box of cake, maybe the best is to heave it and buy anew.

Here, in a very hot climate, I use the mixes within 3 months of buying them or I put them in the fridge. I'm also very careful when buying the boxes to check the out date. The US loves to sell the outdated product (who can blame them) to the uneducated buyer and then of course, the consumer dumbs, dumbs along and buys them. Bugs! Surprise!

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 9

I wouldn't use it. But, I'm a freak about that kind of stuff. Anything with expiration on it, if it's expired out it goes.

alise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alise Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 9

Wow you guys! I remember these bugs from when I was a kid! We had them in our cracked wheat, my mom would say just scrap them out and eat it anyway! icon_eek.gif Good thing they dont make you sick! Sorry I just went down memory lane for a sec. ok I'm so glad I know what they are now, that was bugging me

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 9

Cute pun Alise! icon_razz.gif
My dad will still eat things with weevils and it always grossed us kids out. Maybe you could make the cake in the shape of a weevil as a tribute....

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 9

Just throw it out...Why risk it?

alise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alise Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 9

oh I think that would be to funny if i made a weevil cake! My mom would freak! I'm sure with the way she is now! LMAO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%