Preval Sprayer - How Much Vodka To How Much Luster?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 21 Jul 2007 , 2:26pm by beccakelly

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 5

I don't want to waste either... so how much of each to spray an entire cake? Such conflicting information.

and for all of you worried about using the preval sprayer, we will not be eating the fondant, but peeling it off, so no worries there.

Melissa

4 replies
berryblondeboys Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 5

Well, I went with 2 ozs vodka to 2 grams luster dust.... seems to be working... now to see how long it takes to dry before I do a second coat! Pretty stuff! Now I see why you are all addicted to it! Of course, we won't be eating it! LOL I'll eat the organic dark chocolate cake underneath! LOL

Melissa

brittanydear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittanydear Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:56am
post #3 of 5

Melissa,
The cake turned out awesome~! I have one question though - How do you politely tell people not to eat the fondant? At my house everyone peels it off out of preference, but how do you tell people who may want to eat it, not to? Thanks!!

berryblondeboys Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 9:54am
post #4 of 5

Well, the party I went to last night was a houseful of health nuts. All I said ws that the sparkly stuff on the cake while not toxic, hasn't been approved for consumption in the US, but has been elsewhere. I also told them that I used a sprayer that hasn't been approved for food use, so I recommended that they peel off the fondant to get to the cake.

THis is the first time I've used fondant, so it's also the first time I informed my clients too.

Normally, if they ORDERED the cake, I would tell them upon ordering a sparkly cake that while not toxic, it's not considered food safe in the US, but is considered food safe in Europe and let them decide from there.

If it's just fondant and no sparklies, then they can eat it as far as I'm concerned.

Melissa

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 5

i just got my preval spray gun, and it took some trial and error to figure out the ratio of icing color to vodka. can't wait to get some airbrush colors, then i won't have to worry about that! now that i have it figured out i really like it! im going to try spraying gold luster dust sometime this week, im glad to here that it works well for that too! but i did also notice how long it took to dry. and i was doing the color black, so for me at least it required several coats of color to get it nice and dark.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%