Question On Using Fondant

Decorating By erinethansmum Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 12:22pm by boring

erinethansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinethansmum Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 4:47am
post #1 of 8

When you roll out the fondant. What do you use so it won't stick?. Can you use Powdered Sugar or Corn Starch. Thank you for all help.. icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 4:52am
post #2 of 8

Use a thin layer of Crisco. I've used Corn Starch in the past and in looked awful. I just made a cake and rolled the fondant with crisco and I couldn't believe the difference!!! It was sooooooo much easier to work with. And it looked lovely afterward without any powder residue on it.

Lazy_Susan

erinethansmum Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 4:54am
post #3 of 8

I live in Australia and we can't get Crisco.. icon_cry.gif ..any other suggestions..butter?...no stick spray?..dunno..help..

thank you..icon_smile.gif
Denise

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 4:58am
post #4 of 8

Non stick spray will work as well. I spray it on my rolling pin also icon_smile.gif

erinethansmum Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 5:03am
post #5 of 8

TY TY TY TY TY TY TY..first time with fondant...didn't want the white marks if i could help it..Especially since the body of the cake will be red..Figured it would be a nightmare to get off..

thanks again
Denise

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 7:06am
post #6 of 8

When I roll out fondant for icing, I use shortening on my mat. When I roll it for decorations, I use 1/2 cornstarch 1/2 powdered sugar mixture in my dusting puff. It keeps the fondant from drying out too much. The powder should dust right off the fondant with a pastry brush.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 8:14am
post #7 of 8

I'm in the uk and I use icing sugar. It does intitally leave marks but by the following day they magically just disappear

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 8

I live in Australia and you can use, superfry or a spray they call Sprink or you can use Icing sugar. Icing sugar only leaves marks underneath and you can smooth the out as you cover the cake. you can also buy a proper mat that the fondant doesn't stick to and you don't need to put anything on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%