How Do I Cover A Cake Board In Fondant?

Decorating By cakejunkie Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 6:59pm by cakejunkie

cakejunkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakejunkie Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 8

I have never used fondant before and I was wondering how to cover a cake board in fondant. I am making 2 cakes, both using the wonder mold. One is a witch and the other is a cauldron. I would like to make a spooky tree out of MMF, but I am not sure how to get tree to stand up right on the fondant covered board. How would you make it stick and not fall over?

7 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:03am
post #2 of 8

Making the tree with a skewer in the center might work. I don't know how well the branches will stay in position. You could also make the entire frame with wire including "prongs" that would stab into the cake board.

Good luck.

M.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:24am
post #3 of 8

You also might use some waffle cones stacked together for the tree trunk. Make the branches & let dry before attaching to the trunk - you might want a little gum-tex or something mixed with the MMF to stiffen it a little bit...I'm not sure about that.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 8

to cover your board just put some spray on the board then roll your fondant out with a bit left over so it hangs a little over the sides then you can trim the side. the spray will hold your fondant firm. To transfer from where you roll out just turn the fondant over on what you have rolled it out on onto the board and rub gently to secure it to the board.

As for your tree I would put a wod of fondant as the base of the tree and that will stick to it self or just put a bit of watrer under it to secure it to the fondant covered board.

cakejunkie Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 8

This may sound stupid but what kind of spray? I like everyones suggestions for the tree I think I will do a test run this weekend.Thanks everyone!

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:43am
post #6 of 8

I am not sure what sort of spray you would use there but here we have one that is called "Sprink".
A fat type of spray i would suggest. Do they have a Crisco spray?

I normally use what you would call jelly, we call it jam with no fruit bits in it.

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:02am
post #7 of 8

I have just sprayed my boards with water to get the fondant to stick.

cakejunkie Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everybody! I am going to attempt to do a practice tree and since this is my 1st ever time using fondant I'm a little nervous. How long does it normally take for fondant figures to dry? I am using wilton fondant (I figured that the taste wouldn't matter since no one is going to eat the tree). Does this dry quicker than MMF? PLease help I'm a nervous nelly!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%