Baby Buggy Trainwreck!

Decorating By wyatt Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 5:15pm by debsuewoo

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 13

How silly of me to think I could ever duplicate someone as talented as Debbie Brown. The whole baby buggy procedure seemed simple enough as I am limited on my experience with fondant. I baked my cake, let it freeze overnight, had my buttercream and whipped filling ready to go. It all seemed too easy. This creation requires turning the cake over after is it covered and that even went well too. BUT, as I continued to decorate, I guess my whipped icing filling broke down or I did not use a firm enough texture cake...don't know exactly, but by the next (delivery) morning, my bowl shaped buggy had turned into a very sad and droopy buggy. I was so embarrassed to deliver this cake. I think next time I will not use a bowl and just go with 2 ovals instead.
LL

12 replies
jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 13

Wyatt,
Your cake still looks very cute IMHO!! Don't be too hard on yourself.
Cheers icon_smile.gif
Jill

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 13

It looks pretty cute to me icon_biggrin.gif

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 13

ditto. i've never used whipped filling but it does sound like it wouldn't withstand so much movement. i've been eyeing that cake for so long! unfortunately, i have no one to make it for...yet!

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 13

I would suggest no filling at all on this particular cake and definitely using a very dense strong cake to support sitting on it's smaller end.
You still did very well! Don't give up, Debbie Brown uses madeira cakes I think and I have found them to be very much stronger than normal sponge cakes.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 13

oh it is adorable! I'd be thrilled to receive that cake. you really did a great job thumbs_up.gif

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 13

that's so cute....

Keep on baking!!!!

Cindy

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 13

I agree with Keira,
I think the weight of the fondant needs a bit denser cake without a filling.

Having said that--I think this cake is adorable. We cake decorators, are our own worse critics! icon_rolleyes.gif

I bet your client was very pleased! icon_biggrin.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:01am
post #9 of 13

unless your customer saw the Debbie Brown version, I don't really see what's wrong.

I'm a fondant ...exclusively, user and I do NOT fill my cakes!

If my customers insist on filling I tell them they will not get a fondant cake..just buttercream and a "picture" or "graphic" on their cake.

Filled cakes have a tendency to 'shift'..bulge and sometimes sink. I won't take that chance....other things happening are enough..lol

SO...how did you get your baby so shinny?

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 5:38am
post #10 of 13

Thank you all for being so nice, but my disappointment over this cake still looms. I like the idea of NO filling ~ no shifting, no settling but that just seems like so much cake without icing or something. I have not made the madeira cakes in DB book and should probably do so because SHE tortes and fills successfully... icon_mad.gif

Also, my baby is shiny because of vegetable shortening I had all over my hands when making him. Is shiny a good thing or no?

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 7:19am
post #11 of 13

Shiney is a good thing, half of us can never accomplish that! Your modelling is terrific and you should be very proud! Have you thought of trying Nati's chocolate mud cake from this site? It is dense and very strong without being dry which I don't like about madeira cake.
I used mudcake for mine here
LL

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 13

Ahhhhhhhh..and I have a pot of shortening right by my work table..lol

Wyatt, your cake seems ok...I don't think you should worry too much about your cake! I'm sure your customer was fine with the cake!!

Remember that they book us because we can sometimes do better than they can!! and if we don't point out the mistakes we make, we are golden..lol

Take care, take a deep breath! and relax!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 13

When using whipped filling, aren't you supposed to let the cake settle beore you deorate? I haven't used whipped fillings, but it kind of makes sense to me.

Wyatt, I really like your cake.... I love the sleeping baby.

Debbi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%