You'd Think My Mom Would Know Better

Decorating By Sandra80 Updated 28 Jul 2007 , 12:46am by Sandra80

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:20am
post #1 of 23

my mom asked me to do a cake for her boss's son. she found out that he likes the backyardigans so i begin to get everything together. it was supposed to be just something small for him (6in round with hand done fondant figures of all 5 characters) I made the characters yesterday (she knows i do those about a week ahead so they can dry and i told her on the phone i was making them that morning. well she calls today and tells me that it is now a cake for about 40-50 as it will be put in the office and they will have a work party for this guy's son AND now it has to be dora because the boy likes that better(this week!) so now the little cake has been blown out of proportion and now, because i refuse to just toss out these backyardigan characters because they came out spot on perfect, i am now doing a whole nick jr. theme. i now have to make dora, boots, diego, blue, magenta, steve and whatever other character i can come up with. i figure i am going to make them sitting on cupcakes around a central cake that i am going to dress up as a party table. it just bums me out that something so simple became so complicated. i am only charging mom the supplies because maybe i might get some business out of this and god knows that it will show i can do ANY character and that it will look fabulous but geez, you'd think my mom wouldn't be a bad customer story! the only reason she wanted this cake in the first place was to get some brownie points with the boss (and to maybe eat some cake too!) now i am going to be making nick jr characters all week! i'll post a picture when everthing is done.

22 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:31am
post #2 of 23

Maybe it's because your mom knows how good you are and want's everyone to know. With that many people looking at and eating your cake it could be a potential orders in the future. Save the other figures (if you can) you may need them some other time.

Kat

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:31am
post #3 of 23

Good Luck, can't wait to see your pictures!!

Oh, and Moms...... enough said icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:46am
post #4 of 23

Come Christmas time you remind her how she really OWES you for this! icon_rolleyes.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:34am
post #5 of 23

But just think how awesome this cake is going to be. I LOVE the idea of all the characters sitting around a party table. I bet you'll get lots of orders from this. It's going to be great and I can't wait to see the pic when you're done.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Come Christmas time you remind her how she really OWES you for this! icon_rolleyes.gif

why wait? there is a really good deal at Lowe's on a Kitchenaid right now icon_lol.gif

Sandra80 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 23

i've been trying to get my mom to take me off the present rotation. she's got $$ issues so i try to help her out when possible and with her turning around and buying me stuff, i feel bad. shegave me life and a bunch of stuff when i was a kid. she can spend the money on other stuff. (do i get daughter of the year award, or what?)

Sandra80 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 23

i've been trying to get my mom to take me off the present rotation. she's got $$ issues so i try to help her out when possible and with her turning around and buying me stuff, i feel bad. shegave me life and a bunch of stuff when i was a kid. she can spend the money on other stuff. (do i get daughter of the year award, or what?)

Sandra80 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:11am
post #9 of 23

well here it is. it took 12 hours all together to make all the figures, bake and decorate. i'm tired now!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:19am
post #10 of 23

Very cute! Great job!!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:56am
post #11 of 23

You should have a big smile. Your cake/figures are wonderful and your mother will brag about your cake and how you hand made all the figures. It will be quite the conversation piece.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:07pm
post #12 of 23

You really nailed the characters....awesome thumbs_up.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #13 of 23

PERFECT characters! My 4 year old is standing next to me naming them all off ~ so VERY recognizable ~ and that's have the battle!!!! Congratulations on a great job.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm
post #14 of 23

great job your mom will have a blast bragging about you all week..

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:11pm
post #15 of 23

Your characters are wonderful! Excellent job. You should definitely get some additional business as a result of them seeing what you can do. Congratulations on your great work!

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 23

Looks wonderful! Nice work!

statecollegecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
statecollegecakemom Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:20pm
post #17 of 23

Amazing!!! What else can I say!

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:22pm
post #18 of 23

OMG Look at Boots! It's incredible how you made the characters look exactly like the originals!

You do deserve the daughter of the year award! party.gif (not just for making an amazing cake for her, but for recognizing that she gave you the best gift of all--life)

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:25pm
post #19 of 23

You did a wonderful job, I hope your mom appreciates the work you put into the cake.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:40pm
post #20 of 23

It turned out awesome!! love this cake for a small child. DD would just love it.

"You do deserve the daughter of the year award! (not just for making an amazing cake for her, but for recognizing that she gave you the best gift of all--life)"

I agree!!

Sandra80 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:16pm
post #21 of 23

thanks everyone, i delivered it this morning and the whole office kept coming into the conference room to come check it out one by one. they were all amazed and i handed out lots of business cards. the little boy was thrilled and proceeded to rip dora off the cake immediately and start carrying her around everywhere. it was awesome. as for getting more business, i belong to a mom's group on myspace for NJ mom's and within a few hours of posting the pic of the cake for them to see, i had 3 potential orders for it and a baby shower too!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:30pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra80

... the little boy was thrilled and proceeded to rip dora off the cake immediately and start carrying her around everywhere....

Awwwwww, that is so sweet! Isn't that the best?! The cake is wonderful. You do such a great job of molding. Is it sraight fondant or do you mix anything with it?

Sandra80 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:46am
post #23 of 23

it's straight fondant, i use the wilton stuff for that because it seems to keep the shape easier and faster. satin ice tends to kinda melt a bit from the heat of my hands and after i set it down it droops more than what i would consider acceptable by my standards but i guess that's why people add stuff to the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%