Fbct Questions - Help

Decorating By moralna Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 6:49pm by TexasSugar

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 12

I am planning to do a FBCT of the Mets logo for a birthday cake for my brother. The picture I am planning to use is the logo with the city skyline and bridge behind the team name - colors are navy blue, orange, and white and the circle surrounding the logo is orange. . . . so here are my questions:

1) It is suggested to use a black outline when tracing an image, but i really don't want to use black, because there really is no black in the image itself; can i just work with the colors i am using when tracing or do i need an image outline to be black? And if i need a black image outline - can i use a clear gel?

2) There is one piece of instruction that i do not understand from the directional . . . it is, "Using the same color icing you will ice your cake with, edge the transfer and cover the back evenly" - what does edge the transfer mean?

Any help would be so appreciated.

11 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know if the gel would freeze and come off the wax paper the same as icing.
You don't HAVE to use black but should probably use a color that contrasts to show the lines.
By edging they mean once you're done filling in the colors you outline the edge of your FBCT with the same color icing you will be using on your cake. You also use that color to cover the back of your FBCT.

moralna Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 12

Okay - got the edging.

Can I outline each individually - that is what i have to fill in blue do a blue outline, what i have to fill in orange do an orange outline, etc.?

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 12

Pardon my ignorance, but what does FBCT stand for?

moralna Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 12

It is a frozen buttercream transfer. . .

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 12

you don't have to use black!!! You can use any color you want........the black just makes everything stand out more and makes it look more like a colored in coloring page if that makes sense.........If you want to use the same color outline as the fill in color you can do that too.........I would do a practice run and make sure you like the look of it that way though. They keep in the freezer for just about forever as long as you keep they covered in something (so they don't pick up flavors from the freezer). You might be surprised how crisp the black lines make everything look.

moralna Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 12

You know I may try it both ways - at your suggestion - and see which one i like - thanks for the tips.

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 12

Oh! ta..

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 12

i am going to try one of these too....do you first freeze your outlining before you ice the back with the same color as your cake? Or do you just pipe it on top of your outlining?

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 12

Bump....I really want to know the answer to the last question. icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 12

Buttercream defrosts pretty quickly especially small or thin pieces of it so freezing it and then taking it out to do something else isn't going to do anything for you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 12

You don't have to freeze after doing the outline. The thin line thaws so fast it would be thaw before you got the bag in your hand. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%