I'm Starting To Panic!

Decorating By asl40 Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 1:00am by JaneK

asl40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asl40 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 5

I've practiced covering my cakes with MMF. I only practiced with a single layer from my 3"pan. Tomorrow is my cousin's wedding and I went to cover the 6" cake that is 4" tall with fondant. It was a disaster. How in the world am I supposed to get it all smooth?

I also have to cover a 10" round (also 4" tall), and a 16" round. Can I do this? What do you recommend???

HELP me not have a disaster!

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 5

go to this site

http://atecousa.net//learn/

click on the tutorials on the left menu

that will show you how to do it.

-----
keys --

patience
work slowly
top down

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:45am
post #3 of 5

Try not to panic. Turn off your brain, and just DO IT. I get caught up sometimes, my heart will be racing and I feel like there is a beehive inside my head, and I am in a panic. I just have to stop worrying, panicking, and just do my best, and not htink about it any more.

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:59am
post #4 of 5

I was the worst at covering w/ MMF until I watched a tutorial on youtube, lookup "cakeplanet" it makes it sooooo easy you will be covering everything!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:00am
post #5 of 5

Try not to rush

Only think of one tier at a time so you won't be overwhelmed

Go to Walmart and buy some clear vinyl

Roll out the fondant on that...even though it will be more costly, try not to roll it too thin...if it is around 1/4" or therabouts, it will tear less

You can have someone help you lift it up and place it over your larger tier..it is less traumatic than doing it with a rolling pin if you are not comfortable

Keep your hands off the fondant as much as possible once it is on..the first thing I do is lightly go in a circle on the top of the cake with the smoother...I dust my smoother lightly in powdered sugar

Many times, I have had to remove the fondant, re-knead it and do it again..I would do it when you are well rested (if possible) or there are no other distractions around..
I always turn off the radio or have light classical music (calming) playing softly

It'll be OK...even if there are less than perfect areas, there are usually flowers and other decorations that can cover up the tiny oopsies that only the decorator will notice

You can do it!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%