Wanting To Start With Fondant

Decorating By hamlove Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 11:52pm by hamlove

hamlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamlove Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all,
I am wanting to start working more with fondant. Many questions. First, is the mmf a good fondant to work with. Would most say that working with fondant, like making a person or animal like working with playdough. You just work with it until it forms into the figure you want. What are different ways to make clay items. I mean like can you take a playdough model set and use fondant instead of playdough of course and make the shape you want, or is there a special model set to buy. What would anyone say I should start doing to learn how to make many things with fondant. Any help I really am ready to take my decorating skills to a new level. Thanks for any help.

12 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 13

What you can make with FOndant or MMF is endless.
I live for Fondant, and I only do Fondant on my cakes.
My life is complete with Fondant... icon_smile.gif

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 13

I'm not an expert at all on fondant or mmf by any means..but I have used both numerous times.

I love mmf. It is cheap and easy to make and tastes a milion times better than any other fondants I've tried. I find it much like playdough where you can make all kinds of things and use molds of any kind and use cookie cutters and any other cutters you have. Actually, I just watched something on the food network..I think it was "ace of cakes", where someone used a playdough mold or gadget to make something out of fondant.

Anyway, I find it pretty easy to work with overall. If it starts to get too stiff, all you have to do is "nuke" it for a few seconds in the microwave. If you want it to be stiffer you just let it sit out for a little while. It doesn't always dry super hard like gumpaste but you can always mix it with gumpaste if you want to do that as well. But overall, I love mmf and I hope you try it. The more you play around with it, the easier it gets. Good luck. I hope I helpedicon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 13

MMF works great for modeling. A good book to get you started would be a book called "The Sculpy Way". It is actually a book for making clay figures, but you can still use the basics and just translate it into using fondant instead of clay. Yes you can use the playdough tools like the fun factory with fondant. Just make sure it is a new one and has not been used for playdough. There are lots of good pictures of fondant figures in the galleries. If you have any questions as you go along, just ask. Everyone at the website is great about helping and sharing their knowledge. Good Luck with you modeling.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 13

I was very hesitant to start working with fondant when I first started. My first experience with it was during my Wilton classes, and of course, the instructor recommended Wilton packaged fondant. When I first tasted it, and worked with it, I thought, "Oh gross!...this stuff tastes AWFUL! How could ANYONE want this on their cake!?" I found it difficult to work with too. This, of course, was BEFORE I discovered CC! When I started here, I found the recipe for MMF, and, WOW! My whole fondant experience changed! It tastes GREAT, and is SO much easier to work with! Now, I hate working with butter cream, and LOVE fondant!
I purchased any and ALL fondant tools that Michaels craft store had
( made by Wilton of course), and they have served me well. They are great for anything you might need...I have all the cut out shapes, trimmers, and, well, just about any fondant tools they have, I own! There are all kinds of tools on the web you can purchase too, but I think the ones in the store are great to start with, and will last forever! Have fin!
I also bought the Wilton Fun With Fondant book available at Michaels when I first started. It had lots of fun designs, and ideas as well as good instruction!
GOOD LUCK!

hamlove Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks so much for this info. Anyhelp in cake decorating is great. I will take any help I can get. I was trying to make a castle cake, wanted to get into the 3-D theme and a lot of people helped me out a lot, I finished it and will post it soon. Thanks a million.

hamlove Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 13

what are the differences between fondant and gumpaste gum tex, what do all of these things do.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 13

hamlove,
Fondant can be used to cover your cake, like an icing, but it is rolled out of course and not spread on like buttercream. Fondant can also be used to make decorations with. Gumpaste is used to make decorations with. Gum tex, is used to MAKE gumpaste. Hope this helped!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:02am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlove

what are the differences between fondant and gumpaste gum tex, what do all of these things do.

Hamlove
Although many people make flowers with both fondant and gumpaste, gumpaste is able to be rolled out a lot thinner than fondant, it dries quicker, and therefore it is a lot better to use for flowers. I do *most* of my modelling using either gumpaste or fondant with a little gumtrag added to it.
I also never make my own fondant, too lazy ; ). I use fondX.
cheers
Nati

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:08am
post #10 of 13

fondant is FUN!! and the best is the mmf. Enjoy playing!!

gumtex is added to mmf to make it dry harder, you can also mix a 50/50 combo of mmf and gumpaste.

I just got Wilton's Celbrating with Fondant, and it is great!! very clear instructions with pictures, cute cakes with many ideas. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 13

Yes you can use a play dough machine to make things out of with your fondant but you will have to put some gumpast in the fondant if you want it to go hard. When you use a play dough machine make sure you have only used it for fondant especially if you want to put it on cakes.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:14pm
post #12 of 13

The more I make MMF the more I love using it. Im hooked icon_smile.gif

hamlove Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 13

can you put gumtex in mmf to make it hard to make figures or any other kind of creation. Dont mean to ask so many questions, just wanting to learn all I can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%