So Stupid...how To Avoid This?

Decorating By danar217 Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 9:45pm by azeboi2005

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 15

I am just starting out, usually just doing stuff for my family and friends. I have been getting a couple of orders and I seem to go overboard. For instance, a mom just called for a golf cake and one dozen cupcakes. She said just something simple for the cupcakes to match the golf ones, even just green icing. So I gave her the price for that and she said great. Well then I went out of control. I covered them with green grass, made little fondant golf balls and put a flag on each one with a 9 (9th b-day). She loved them. But since she said something simple, I felt like I couldn't charge her for the extra work. I always do this....do more than the customer asked for. Then I don't feel like I can charge for it since they didn't ask for it, it's just an added bonus for them.

Any tips on giving quotes so that I cover myself? How can I word it that it may be extra if I go crazy on their order?? Or do I just suck it up and not get paid for it. Help!! I can't be the only one who does this!

14 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 15

I don't think you can word it that you will charge extra because you go crazy and do more. It is a bonus for them, that they didin't ask for. Take your price and figure out how much extra you are doing and mark it up a small percent before you even give them the original quote. Or, just realize you are going to go nuts.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 15

I look at things like that as an investment in my portfoilio. I just tell people, now please don't tell anyone what you paid for these.

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 15

I always do the same thing! I quote someone a price and then go way overboard with last minute additions. I guess we need to plan better from the beginning.
Renae

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 15

I would say fight the feeling of going overboard. Give them what they ask for and you won't be out of money or time. I would do the extras on practice cakes to build my portfolio.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 15

Hi,
I tend to do this too but I think it has a lot to do with being here at Cake Central. icon_biggrin.gif I see so many awesome cakes here and always want to do better and better so I "upgrade" my cakes because they never seem good enough or complete enough. I figure even though it takes more time, it's worth it to me to have something I like and to share the pictures of the cake that's got a few extras than something rather plain.

KimAZ

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 15

I tend to do this also. However I want to make sure that the customer knows what I would have charged for it if they had ordered it this way so I ALWAYS give every customer an invoice/receipt. Doesn't matter if it is my mom or a stranger. I type out everything I did on the cake and the price for it. and have the end listed out something like this.

Subtotal : $.... (list total that you would have charge)
Free reign Design Discount : $ .... (discount the price of the Extra's you added)
Total : $....

HTH

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 15

You can't really charge a customer for something they didn't ask for. And believe it or not, some people perfer simple! What's wrong with them?

That's just too funny- "Oh I know you only asked for 3 dozen white cupcakes, but I thought you would perfer a 4 tiered wedding cake instead".

I'm sorry, not trying to make fun of you. It's an addiction and you can't help it. We understand!

Anytime you go out of your way to add extras, esp. for free if they didn't ask for them, they will remember that and probaly tell others about you. People may begin asking for the special so and so things they saw on so and so's cake. Then just give them a quote that covers you!

Take a deep breath and try to control yourself! icon_lol.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I tend to do this also. However I want to make sure that the customer knows what I would have charged for it if they had ordered it this way so I ALWAYS give every customer an invoice/receipt. Doesn't matter if it is my mom or a stranger. I type out everything I did on the cake and the price for it. and have the end listed out something like this.

Subtotal : $.... (list total that you would have charge)
Free reign Design Discount : $ .... (discount the price of the Extra's you added)
Total : $....

HTH

Good Idea! That way you do have to give it for free always!

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 15

I often do the same thing. I just look at it as having better pictures for my website. When I do practice cakes, I'm not getting any money for them, so I figure I might as well lose a little by doing extra on a paid cake than make an entirely unpaid one.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 15

Do you enjoy doing what you're doing? Don't start fretting about what you're getting paid. Only worry if someone wants that exact item at the cheaper price!

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks so much for the replies. Nice to know that I'm not the only one. I do like having the pictures for my website. And thanks for the other ideas! You guys are great!

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 15

I am so glad you asked this question because I do exactly the same thing, just by getting a simple idea can turn out quite OTT. I kick myself everytime so I will take some of the hints and tips as well if you don't mind.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 15

And if someone DOES come back and want the extras for the same price you sold them to this lady, you can easily explain, "Oh she let me use her for a guinea pig to test a new design! She got the proto-type ..... you'll have the final approved model!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:45pm
post #15 of 15

i always go overboard on my cakes, the only bad thing is that most of them are family cakes which = no money icon_sad.gif oh well i'm hoping these cakes will build my portfolio which will bring in paying customers. i think going overboard is a disease all cakers have, i'm just saying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%