What Chocolate To Use For Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By USMC_SGTs_Lady Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 5:01am by Torte

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 35

So i haven't made Chocolate Buttercream yet icon_rolleyes.gif ...reason for...there are so many different recipes...we not really different....they all just call for a different type or kind of chocolate....Some say bitter sweet chocolate chips, some say candy melts...some call for cocoa powder...milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, chocolate baking squares...So i can't decide which recipes to try out first.....What is the best Chocolate to use? Is the kind of chocolate you use more of a presonal preferance or does each type of chocolate have a different effect on the frosting?....anything help woul be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

34 replies
rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 35

i cheat when i do mine: i make a batch of regular buttercream, no flavoring and add 1/2 tub of betty crocker creamy milk chocolate icing. im not too good a mixing the choc. buttercream, last time i tried it from scratch, i really messed it up. this way, its chocolatey, which they love and not too sweet.

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 35

I just add cocoa powder.

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 35

I just add cocoa powder to my reguar buttercream too.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 35

I melt chocolate chips and let them cool slightly. Then I just stir them into my regular buttercream recipe. You might need to add a little more liquid at the end if it's too thick.
So yummy!

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 35

When you add cocoa powder, do you mix it with like the milk or water(whatever liquid you use in your BC recipe) so that it dissolves and isn't grainy in your frosting?
may i ask what brand of cocoa powder you use?

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 35

i mix the cocoa powder with the butter and i add a sprinkle of salt and slpash of vanilla. everybody loves it so must be working icon_smile.gif

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 35

I add the cocoa powder along with the powdered sugar and I've never had a problem with it. I have an organic fair trade cocoa I like to use, but I've also just used plain old hersheys.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 35

I add cocoa powder when I add the powdered sugar, and then I add hot fudge. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but my husband thinks it's to die for. icon_biggrin.gif

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

I add cocoa powder when I add the powdered sugar, and then I add hot fudge. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but my husband thinks it's to die for. icon_biggrin.gif

Would this be the hot fudge used in the Fudgy Ganache recipe on this site?

Great topic and advice!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 35

Hershey's chocolate syrup

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 35

I tried the cocoa thing and it tasted horrible. Probablly something I did wrong. But anyway I asked my wilton instructor and she told me to buy the premade chocolate frosting and mix it with my bc and she said it is delicious. I have not actually tried it but I will soon!

RitzyFritz Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebsmom45

I tried the cocoa thing and it tasted horrible. Probablly something I did wrong. But anyway I asked my wilton instructor and she told me to buy the premade chocolate frosting and mix it with my bc and she said it is delicious. I have not actually tried it but I will soon!

When you say "premade" do you mean Wilton's premade or Betty Crocker, etc.?

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 35

not sure if i want to try the cocoa powder....IMHO if you want something to taste like chocolate, you ahve to add chocolate to it...add cocoa powder just doesn't seem like it would be chocolatie enough...BUT what do i know, i haven't tried it yet....

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyFritz

Quote:

Great topic and advice!

I actually use homemade hot fudge that I always have in my fridge, but I'm sure hershey's hot fudge or another brand of hot fudge for ice cream would work just as well.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 35

I use Hershey's Cocoa or a Dutch Cocoa powder. Never use a store brand, the results will be disapointing. I've also subbed in some strong coffee for some of the liquid, I do it by taste, but start with a tablespoon and go from there. It's to die for, I have to hide the leftover frosting from my hubby!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:26pm
post #17 of 35

I use Nestle's Choco-Bake. It's liquid and comes in packets - 2 double packets; 3 of these per box. It's at Walmart in the "cake stuff" isle.

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:30pm
post #18 of 35

One of my favorite quick things to do is putting 8oz softened Philly Cream Cheese in a bowl and two Betty Crocker Dark Choc frostings along with cocoa powder and vanilla with instant coffee mixed in. Delicious!!!! and you'll probably have leftovers.

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #19 of 35

My instructor said that she used Betty Crocker so I would use one of those types. I am going to try it this weekend for cake balls so hopefully it works for me as well. Sounds like it would be yummy since I like Betty Crocker chocolate icing anyway (straight from the can at times!). Good luck!

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_SGTs_Lady

When you add cocoa powder, do you mix it with like the milk or water(whatever liquid you use in your BC recipe) so that it dissolves and isn't grainy in your frosting?
may i ask what brand of cocoa powder you use?

Yes, I dissolve it a bit first. I use Green and Blacks Organic cocoa powder but as far as I know, that is a UK brand only. Any good quality cocoa powder would do though. I personally don't like chocolate but my husband, the chocolate guru, says it tastes great this way, specially when combined with a good chocolate cake.

June

RitzyFritz Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:23pm
post #21 of 35

Thanks to each of you! I am making chocolate BC today and this has been a big help!

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:23pm
post #22 of 35

thanks everyone for your advice and tips...i guess i will do a little expiermenting....try cocoa powder, and real chocolate i guess. Also i was thinking, if i feel there isn't enough chocolate flavor as i would like i could add some drops of chocolate LorAnn Oil instead of adding more cocoa powder or whatever choclate ingredient the recipe calls for. The cake i need the chocolate BC for is for a guy that is like all about chocolate. They want chocolate cake with chocolate BC, chocolate ganache, and chocolate candies to decorate the cake....i like chocolate but holy cow!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:25pm
post #23 of 35

there is a local ice cream store that sells their hot fudge and it is to die for. I have never thought about using it in my buttercream. I am so going to try it!

As for what I normally do, I make buttercream dream and add melted bakers unsweetened chocolate.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:33pm
post #24 of 35

i make my fav BC recipe then add a can of wiltons ready to use choc frpsting and it taste yummy and is nice and dark

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:38pm
post #25 of 35

i use cocoa powder also, but it makes the icing a little thicker, so maybe try that with asome hersheys syrup to thin it out while adding more choc flavor

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:55pm
post #26 of 35

I'm chimming in a little late here, but I've beeen experimenting and came up with one I really love:
I start with regular BC and add Ghiradelli sweetened ground chocolate (cocoa)-for the sweet chocolate taste and Hersheys cocoa- for the deep cocoa taste along with extra water until I get the desired taste and consistency. Of course, using your KA takes away the 'grainy' issue, but since I rarely do a full batch of Choc BC, I usually just beat it by hand with a spatula or whisk.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:42pm
post #27 of 35

I use both Hershey's unsweet cocoa (reg or dark) & baker's unsweetended choc. The amt. that I use depends on the desire for a milk choc. or a darker choc. I add the cocoa with the powdered sugar & then the melted choc. I add my milk last until I get the consistency that I want. Last time I made choc. bc, I added some LorAnn coffee flavor & got nothing but rave reviews. The coffee seems to enhance the flavor.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:59pm
post #28 of 35

I am not real fond of chocolate BC, but I do love the chocolate bc made with the godiva chocolate liquer and addition of whipped ganache...YUMMY...I think I will try the IMBC made with chocolate (I don't think I would like the reg. IMBC but I heard the chocolate version is to die for) icon_biggrin.gif

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:54am
post #29 of 35

For my Chocolate Buttercream I use only premium Chocolate Baking Squares. Usually a combo of DK. Choc. and semi-sweet Chocolate. I dont like using cocoa powder in my frosting's.
Years ago when I first started out making homemade frostings, I did use cocoa powder. Was never totally satisfied with it. The first time I made frosting with real Chocolate Baking Squares, That was it for me! Big difference in taste and quality.

RitzyFritz Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyFritz

Quote:

Great topic and advice!

I actually use homemade hot fudge that I always have in my fridge, but I'm sure hershey's hot fudge or another brand of hot fudge for ice cream would work just as well.

Okay, great! Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%