Smocked Baby Dress Cake?

Decorating By bkdcakes Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 12:05pm by boring

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 17

Anyone have any ideas how to make the look of a smocked baby dress in buttercream? I'm making one for my friend this week & the dress she wants me to copy is smocked at the top in front.. icon_confused.gif

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brenda icon_smile.gif

16 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 17

not sure what smocked is...........but have you checked the gallery???

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 17

This is smock.. I bought the impression mat like here:
LL

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 17

I have only seen smocked with the fondant. Maybe a rolled bc? Do you have the little tool to do it with? I think sugarcraft carries them.
Good luck, it sounds like a fun challenge.

maplecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maplecakes Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 17

We did something similar in my very first cake decorating class. If I remember correctly, we used a #16 tip and alternated a row of tiny shells with a row of back and forth S swirls. The 'bodice' was done in a horizontal direction and the 'dress' and sleeves were done in a vertical direction. Some ribbons, rose buds, the color of choice and there you go! It started with a 9x13 sheet cake that was sculpted to outline the sleeves and dress sides. It was very cute and a design I haven't used for a long time...thanks for the reminder!

bkdcakes Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 17

OOOH! Prettycake! That is very pretty! I wish I had figured this out in time to order the impression mat. Unfortunately, the shower is this Sat.

Justducky, that may be an idea, too. My friend doesn't like fondant, even MMF. Since it's her b-day & baby shower, she wants lots of buttercream!

Maplecakes, I'll try that with tip #16. I've done something similar for a crocheted look, so I think I can....I'll do the same thing, only with a 12 x 18 cake.

Thanks!!!!!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 17

Prettycake - where did you buy your impression mat?? I have only seen the rolling pins, but would rather work with a mat.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 17

I got it from Global Sugar Art....
I correct myself, icon_redface.gif ,, it is a cutter, not a mat.. I got confused there for a moment... I apologize.
thanks

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:49am
post #9 of 17

It is also possible to do smocking with a new length of threaded bolt. Just roll your square of fondant. roll over with the bolt. use a pair of tweezers to squeeze the ridges together in your choice of pattern, then use royal to overpipe the stitches

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 6:32am
post #10 of 17

Prettycake, Do you use this patchwork cutter with bc icing? This smocking is so beautiful. I'd love to get this cutter, if you can use it on buttercream. Thanks so much for the pic and info! I love this look.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:06am
post #11 of 17

Its easy to smock, all you need is a lid that has little lines on it and a pair of tweesers and you pinch and pipe similar to above cheaper than buying a cutter. You could also use this method on buttercream.

CarolAnn Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:39am
post #12 of 17

Sorry, I'm not understanding what you're saying here, except for the cheap part...LOL What kind of lid are you talking about?

boring Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 10:42am
post #13 of 17

It doesn't even have to be a lid it can just be something with lots of lines. I actually have a rolling pin with raised lines on it. But we have a vegemite jar lid that you could use as well as I did when I first strated to smock on cakes. You impress the lines on what you want to smock then you get your tweezers and pinch to form the smocking on the pinch you pipe what ever colour you want. you can do a straight line or a cross or what ever you like. You just might need to look around you and you will find something you can use. I hope that helps.

bkdcakes Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 12:07pm
post #14 of 17

Hmmm...I knew I'd get some really creative ideas from CC!!! Keep 'em coming!

CarolAnn Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:16pm
post #15 of 17

Man, I'm still not grasping this. I'm seeing a round lid being rolled down the side of a cake. Uh uh.... Is it at least buttercream icing? LOL Okay, I'm slow to catch on at times. Bear with me here.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 17

I am at a total loss as to what kind of lid you mean as well. Are you talking about something that would have a diamond impression? Does anyone have any photos to share? I'm just not getting it and I love this smocked look. Would love to be able to do it on buttercream.

Thanks!

boring Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:05pm
post #17 of 17

CarolAnn

you sort of have the idea. The only thing you would have to do it to match the lines up. If you use something else with raised lines on it that is bigger it would be easier, thats if you want the whole side of the cake smocked. It wouldn't matter too much if it were buttercream or fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%