Black Ri Heck!!!

Baking By Oniro Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 12:34pm by Oniro

Oniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oniro Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 7

First post ever (so forgive me if this comes out backwards or in Greek...)! I'm having the worst time getting a consistency of black RI that is thin enough to use for scrollwork, but contains as little moisture as posssible so that it won't bleed onto the paler colour. I use gel colour (Wilton black) but I'm so completely desperate that I'm willing to try anything. Powdered colour? Eye of Newt? Any suggestions? Help!!!!! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 7

Americolor Super Black seems to work pretty good. I've never seen it sold in stores. I've only ordered it online (from CC or other websites).

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 7

I agree. AmeriColor super black is great. I also like Chefmaster Coal Black. I outline a lot of my cookies in black and have never had any bleeding. Either of these colors will probably do the trick.

Oniro Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 7

Many thanks for the feedback - i just ordered some Americolor SuperBlack from Golda's in Toronto and I'm crossing my fingers!

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:08am
post #5 of 7

I make small batches at a time. Same with deep blues & reds.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 10:35am
post #6 of 7

Americolor is a way to go. I've tried Wilton gel and it droves me crazy by trying to achieve black I want, but it turns out to be dark grey and I don't like the taste on my icing.

I'm planning to stock full Americolor set soon.

Oniro Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 7

Has anyone tried using a runny black together with runny white to make a swirl pattern on a cookie? I'm thinking spider webs for halloween. I did this with maple leaves for Canada Day in red and white (they looked great the day of, colours started to bleed the next day...) I'm going to try to post the photo of the maple leaves - thanks everyone for being so patient while I find my way around!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%