Stand-Up Number For Cake Topper

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 12 Sep 2006 , 1:53am by bohemia

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 8

okay, I'm doing a small three tier ckae for a bratz birthday party, and I want to make a 8 to stand up on the top? Is this possible? How? Please help.. icon_sad.gif

7 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:22am
post #2 of 8

Okay, anyone??? Please

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:33am
post #3 of 8

hi

make it out of gumpaste or mmf with gum trag/tex added to it.

add some wire into it or a tooth pick and let it dry hard then it should stand up when you insert it into the cake, or you can just use something to hold it up once it is on the cake.

hope this helps

kylie

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:34am
post #4 of 8

Make it out of color flow or royal. I just recently did this for my sons bday cake. Made a sign out of royal and stood it up in the cake. Don't put it in though until just before delivery. The buttercream will break down royal and it will fall over. I learned that the hard way. icon_redface.gif

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:36am
post #5 of 8

I have done this before with the # 16. I have a local cake store that rents some character pans and I used the small number set. I used white chocolate tinted to the color I needed and poured that into the molds until it was set. Once I popped the chocolate out of the molds, I attached wooden dowel rods to the back of the numbers with more melted chocolate. I stuck the dowel rods in the cake and the numbers stayed up. The chocolate was heavy so I had the dowel rods go through the cake to the cardboard circle for the support. I would think that you could cut numbers out of fondant and support them the same way so that they would stand up. Hope this helps!

seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seven Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:37am
post #6 of 8

you could also make it out of run sugar (look at my photos the pooh and piglet are run sugar and are standing up). it is also called run sugar and the recipe i use is from wilton, its on their website wilton.com
make sure you make it 24 hours ahead of time so it can dry
make 2 or 3 incase they break
print out the size you want put wax paper over it and trace with the run sugar. use a very small round tip a number 2 works well

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:38am
post #7 of 8

Someone here once advised me to use lollipop sticks and attach to fondant with royal icing. Works great! I have done it 3 times now. I had one time where I didn't make the piece in time and needed all the drying time I could get.. so instead of royal I put the sticks on using a hot glue gun at the last minute.. just advised not to eat it obviously.

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:53am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

Okay, anyone??? Please

Hi there! I use two methods for this. The first one is a sugarcookie cut into a Good-sized #8. I put in two sticks at the bottom before baking it. When it's baked, decorate it with Royal Icing or any other icing you wish, even fondant is possible. Then I stick it into the cake by the sticks.

Other method is using a corrugated cardboard cut-out of an 8, covered in foil with 2 sticks stuck on the back, u can use tape or a glue gun, just cover with foil after so the back looks clean. I then decorate the number with Icing or brush it with water and use fondant to decorate.

Look at my pics, the #1 on the Butterfly and Bees cake is made of cardboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%