Crusting Buttercream!

Decorating By rajinaren Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 8:12pm by ChristaPaloma

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 25

I am looking for a good crusting buttercream recipe where i can use viva paper towel method. I already saw that recipe on cc. Do anyone have someother recipe they use and comes out well. This recipe in the site is like wiltons buttercream recipe.Looking forward for good recipes! birthday.gif

24 replies
SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 25

The Buttercream Dream icing on this site is crusting and it tastes WONDERFUL!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:46am
post #3 of 25

I love this Dream Whip Icing recipe (not my recipe, I believe it was dragonwarlord?)

2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
2 cups crisco shortening

1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup
2 Tbsp to ¼ cup flour

"Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well. I have tried so many and this is now my main buttercream."

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:52am
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ

I love this Dream Whip Icing recipe (not my recipe, I believe it was dragonwarlord?)

2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
2 cups crisco shortening

1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup
2 Tbsp to ¼ cup flour

"Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well. I have tried so many and this is now my main buttercream."

This is my favorite too ChrisJ. my customers love it!

ChrisJ Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:01am
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

This is my favorite too ChrisJ. my customers love it!

I was so happy when I found it also. I reserve it for my customers since the DreamWhip can be kind of pricey for practice cakes but well worth it for paying customers. icon_biggrin.gif

danette62602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danette62602 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:13am
post #6 of 25

I have a potential customer who has asked for an icing thats not so sweet and is crunch?? I have never tried this icing before....does it get a crunchy crust???

rajinaren Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:23am
post #7 of 25

Can anybody tell me where u get dream whip. How much is one package of dream whip(Dream Whip - 2.6 oz pack or 5.2 oz pack). I think its powder... do we need to add it directy along with everything when we mix? icon_sad.gif

ChrisJ Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:55am
post #8 of 25

rajinaren: It costs about $3.70 a box which consists of 4 envelopes, 5.2 oz. Each batch makes a double batch of BC icing. It is usually kept in the same aisle as the dry pudding mix. You add it when you add the other ingredients.

ladyscreations: yes, it crusts very well. I use the Viva paper towel method to smooth it out.

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 4:46am
post #9 of 25

I love the crusting cream cheese recipe off this site. I want to eat all of it before I even get it on the cake.

rajinaren Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 25

thanks ChrisJ for your information it was very useful icon_cool.gif

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 25

I would like to try this recipe . Do you cream the shortening and CS and the Dream Whip together then add all the rest of the ingredients?

kballew28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kballew28 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 25

I guess I'm confused as well about the dream whip. So you just add the powder after you've creamed your shortening, same as the sugar? Does it take the place of the meringue powder? Thanks

ChrisJ Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballew28

I guess I'm confused as well about the dream whip. So you just add the powder after you've creamed your shortening, same as the sugar? Does it take the place of the ? Thanks

I cream the shortening first. While that is whipping, I boil the water, then add the salt to my hot water. Then I add everything into the shortening, reserving the hot water with the salt in it for last. Then just whip until fluffy. You do not need the meringue powder.

angelak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelak Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:37pm
post #14 of 25

Here's a recipe that I made up, everyone loves it! Beware it makes a lot!

Angela's Buttercream

Cream together:
1 C shortening (Crisco)
2 C (4 sticks) Blue Bonnet Margarine(65% vegetable oil spread)

Add:
1 T vanilla (more or less depending on your taste)
12 C confectionary sugar, yes twelve!
pinch of salt

Add milk to get consistency that you want.
Sometimes I'll add a touch of almond flavoring, about 1/8 t.
It always crusts well and can be left at room temperature (not for hot weather). icon_biggrin.gif
LL

LoraLynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoraLynne Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 25

Even though I'm new to this, my grandmother use to use milk/water to smooth out her cakes. So, instead of using the Viva paper towel or parchment paper, I use stiff or med icing and use my spatula dipped in water to smooth. I've had better sucess with that than anything else (exept fondant.)

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 25

Thank you for sharing the Dream Whip Icing recipe. Do you add the whole box of Dream Whip or just one envelope from the box? Thank you for your help.

ChrisJ Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:31pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBelle

Thank you for sharing the Dream Whip Icing recipe. Do you add the whole box of Dream Whip or just one envelope from the box? Thank you for your help.

Just 1 envelope for each batch you make.

rajinaren Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:32pm
post #18 of 25

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT TOO...THANKS FOR SHARING THE RECIPE

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 3:11am
post #19 of 25

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I'm pretty new to this and couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't get the viva paper towel method to work with the WIlton BC recipe. The paper towel would stick to the icing and make a terrible mess! Tried this recipe tonight for a cake being picked up tomorrow and it worked fantastically! I also love that it isn't so sickningly sweet. Thanks again!

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:14am
post #20 of 25

How many cups of icing does the dreamwhip recipe make?

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 12:39pm
post #21 of 25

Does the dream whip recipe work well using half unsalted butter?
Anyone tried that?

lmn4881 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:58pm
post #22 of 25

I would estimate that it makes approx 6 cups per batch. I had enough to ice an 11 x 15" cake and I still have some left over.

ChristaPaloma Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 8:31pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaPaloma

Does the dream whip recipe work well using half unsalted butter?
Anyone tried that?

bump?
How about today?
Anyone ever try half butter in the Dream Whip Recipe? Please?... I really do want to know and if not, I will, and I will report back on how it turns out...promise!

lmn4881 Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 9:15pm
post #24 of 25

Just wondering but can you decorate with this icing just as you would a buttercream? I am thinking of using my tip 16 star to decorate but I was unsure if it would hold up. Thanks.

ChristaPaloma Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:12pm
post #25 of 25

So I tried this with half unsalted butter, and it was fine...very tasty, light and fluffy, but it did take a little time to crust...then again it was rainy this morning....

It does hold for decorating borders and such, but I would not use it for some things, like roses...'

Overall...a very nice icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%