Help!!! Please

Decorating By AidensMommy06 Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 7:42pm by AidensMommy06

AidensMommy06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AidensMommy06 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this cake decorating stuff and I'm loving it. My question is (ok questions) how do you get the edges either sharp or curved on the icing?. I noticed that some come out sharp but others have this curve to them and short of cutting the cake edge to make it softer I'm not sure how to do that.

Also when I tried to make MMF it kept coming out really sticky. I wasn't sure what to do with it at that point, it was so sticky I couldn't even knead it. Ideas?

Last question for the IMBC, I can't seem to find cream of tartar ANYWHERE. Can I make this recipe without it? or is there a substitute?

Thanks for all your help!

10 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not going to be much help, sorry. I'm a little unclear about the edges? Some cake pans are made with a bevel...is that what you're seeing? The MMF question is definitely one that someone else should be able to answer. I'm assuming you need to add more powdered sugar? Kinda weird that no one around you carries cream of tartar. I thought every grocery store carried it!

AidensMommy06 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 11

You're probably right about the edges. They don't have it! to think I live in NY and no cream of tartar!
I will try adding more PS

thanks for replying! icon_smile.gif

AidensMommy06 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 11

You're probably right about the edges. They don't have it! to think I live in NY and no cream of tartar!
I will try adding more PS

thanks for replying! icon_smile.gif

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 11

Sometimes my MMF is sticky at first, but after it rests a while it is better. I mix it with the dough hook on my kitchen aid and then plop it into a ziplock to sit overnight. The next day it is much easier to handle.

I don't know what to tell you about the cream of tartar - we have it with the spices in all of the local grocery stores/Walmart here. I think I remember someone posting that they used cornstarch instead of cream of tartar in MMF and it came out good.

Maureen1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maureen1954 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 11

Are you looking in the regular spice section for the cream of tartar? It should be there.

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 11

If it's warm and humid where you are, it might make your mmf sticky. Try adding more powdered sugar to it. I don't know about the crearm of tartar. You're looking in the spice section, right? You most likely are, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Welcome to cake central!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 11

where in NY are you? i found mine at nycake, in manhattan. I also see it all the time now in the spices section.

AidensMommy06 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 11

Hi I'm in the Bronx in NY. Yep I've looked in the spice section AND I've asked the store clerks (they're even less help icon_mad.gif have no idea what I'm asking for!). icon_sad.gif

Thanks for your help gals icon_smile.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 11

Ja! i'm sorry, the probably don't even know what it is. It's in the McCormick side of the spices. This is what it looks like:
http://i4.peapod.com/c/M0/M0QW7.jpg

If you can make it into 23rd street and 6th ave, in the city... you can visit NYcake. They are a cake decorating store. A bit pricey but you find what you need w/out waiting for shipping.

AidensMommy06 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 11

Kat thank you so much! I will try to make it out there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%