Holiday Party Cake Ideas - Help!

Decorating By PerryStCakes Updated 22 Sep 2006 , 12:01am by Narie

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 25

I need to send in some sketches to this big company who has decided to hire me to make their Holiday Cake! Yey! BUT - I keep thinking of unspectacular things...

The company is a financial institution - they are pretty conservative. And I don't think they'd go for a financially themed cake (whatever THAT would look like, lol).

I am not sure what to do for them - help? Any good ideas?

Thanks in advance CC!

24 replies
PerryStCakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 25

bumping myself since I am desperate. icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 25

How big and what kind? Are people going to be looking at the cake as a whole or the piece they get on a plate? If it what they get on their plate, sheet cake with cutting guide and a nice butter cream poinsettia on each piece. Basic but the servings are easy to do and look terrific on the plate.

chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 25

Have you looked through the holiday galleried here for an idea that you could enlarge to feed more people or an idea you could expand upon? That would be my first suggestion.

Or check other cake decorators' site. I can usually kind something to spark my creativity by doing either of those things.

PerryStCakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

How big and what kind? Are people going to be looking at the cake as a whole or the piece they get on a plate? If it what they get on their plate, sheet cake with cutting guide and a nice butter cream poinsettia on each piece. Basic but the servings are easy to do and look terrific on the plate.

They will be looking at the cake. Its about 175 people (that might get bigger) so I am looking at a tiered construction.

PerryStCakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 25

chrisrich - I have checked the galleries and everything is beautiful. The trouble is, the cake can't be too christmas or too hanukah or too anything else - it needs to be somewhat "generic holiday" since the company employs people from all walks of life.

That's one of the hard things - hard to think of glorious and generic at the same time.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 25

A snowflake theme might be nice, you could do them out of royal icing or candy melts if you wanted to give it a top.
For something a little more fun do winter scenes on the sides of each tier, sledding, sleighs and snowmen.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 25

If you're thinking stacked cake, what about square tiers and have them look like presents? Red boxes with gold ribbon (or gold boxes with white ribbon) with a bow on top and a sign Happy Holidays stuck on top tier?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 25

I like the snowflake theme also since you can't get too holidays with so many ethic groups working there.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 25

Snowflake cake is a good idea. Here is a pic of a cake that you could adapt. Just add in some snowflakes and a different topper, of course.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/wedding/gki_wedding_cake.cfm

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 25

financial institution huh? my first thought would be a sheet cake decorated like the Ben Franklin $100 bill but put Ben leaning forward out of his portrait circle, have him wearing a holiday hat and his arm/hand holding up a cup of nog. Instead of the usual printed wording on the bill I'd substitute the financial institutions info and perhaps include Happy Holidays or the like. The "bill" would be dressed up for the holidays too... maybe a menorah in place of the seal, holly wreaths in the corners around the numbers, maybe even no numbers but something related to the institution or to the holiday. Just playing with the idea... I also think of Scrooge... financial institution and holidays, big fat turkey and victorian christmas. icon_surprised.gif Oh! Turkey cake and/or christmas tree cake! But have "dollar bills" as the "stuffing" kinda coming out of the bird, or the tree decorated in "dollar bills" and "$" signs. Have fun with it!

mjsparkles2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsparkles2001 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 25

I think the snowflake idea would be really pretty. Daisy1 has a really great snowflake cake posted in her gallery.

Narie Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 25

I know you said it was a conservative bank, but how about one of those topsy turvy cakes. In reds and greens and gold, like a stack of packages. Fondant harlequin, squiggles and stars. Or the white, gold and blue of the snowflake idea but in topsy turvy approach. The reason I am suggesting this is that a conservative group may associate a standard stacked cake with weddings, where as those topsy turvy cakes are fun and brightly colored and look party not wedding.

PerryStCakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 25

Thanks everyone - you have really helped me get my creative juices flowing!

I love you CC!!!!!!!!

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 25

This might be a little too "wedding" but it came out of one of my Wilton Holiday books. (sorry my scan is a little wonky, I couldn't get it straight LOL)

PerryStCakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 25

thats very nice! thank you!

What's a Wilton Holiday book?!?!?

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:26pm
post #17 of 25

Maybe they are called magazines? I'm not sure LOL. I bought it at a garage sale years ago. This is what I have

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:50pm
post #18 of 25

I loved this cake in cc gallery. Looks easy enough to make. Course I haven't tried it yet. Waiting to do for company holiday pot luck. Hope it helps. Please post pic of what you settle on.
LL

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:00pm
post #19 of 25

Fruitcake is always festive...but does everyone like it??? hmmmm

I love a winter wonderland theme...maybe snowmen, or penguins, an igloo...hmmmm maybe thats too "fun" for corporate.

I guess an elegant snowflake cake would be your best bet.

good luck!

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:11pm
post #20 of 25

Wow...you are getting holiday cake orders already. You remind me of the stores around here. I went to a dollar store this morning and they already have christmas cards, wrapping paper, etc out on the shelves. It's not even the middle of September yet.

Anyway, what about a stacked sheet cake. A 1/4 sheet stacked on a half or full sheet. Then you could make it a snow theme where some of the co-workers are sliding down hill on snowboards. Also add some trees with snow on them throughout the cake.

megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 25

What about some holiday ribbon around it with poinsettia or holly flowers...just a thought.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:38pm
post #22 of 25

I have a snowflake cake in my photo gallery if you are interested .. its only a three tier cake but im sure you could make it more or less if you needed too ....

PerryStCakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:31pm
post #23 of 25

UPDATE:

Ok, after all that, I drew some sketches and sent them in. They loved them - BUT - they decided they want mini cakes instead!

AHHHHHH! Back to the drawing board (literally).

So I will send them: mini presents, a little cake with a snowflake thing....any other ideas??

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 11:46pm
post #24 of 25

Little snowballs, with edible glitter; mini snowmen & snowomen; mini penguins.

Narie Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 12:01am
post #25 of 25

Are these mini cakes individual servings or one cake for each table, for instance a 6 inch that when cut would serve those seated at that table. If that's the case, the cake would need to be the center piece or part of the centerpiece for the table. Also it would need to be decided ahead of time who would cut these cakes. Someone seated at the table or the waiters? Who ever cuts the cakes would need to have a cake knife provided. That is a lot of cake knives. Just someting to think about. I think I would ask if there was a commitee in charge of decorations, i.e. centerpieces and see if they had any ideas in mind. Or if they are going to follow your lead.

If for the table, Christmas cottages, Christmas teddy bears.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%