Pricing Question /sorry So Long

Decorating By jmcooley Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 8:39pm by jmcooley

jmcooley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcooley Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 8

A former coworker asked if I could make a 4 Tier wedding cake for $200.00 dollars for a close friend of hers. She was buying the cake for the bride and her husband recently became unemployed. She orders a lot of cakes from me and always pays without grunting about the price. I also have made numerous cakes for her family and friends who have tasted my cakes, so I told her I'd give her a deal and would make it for her in sizes 6, 9, 12, and 16 inch round in buttercream, white cake, with pineapple, strawberry, and lemon fillings. I then gave her a few books to bring to the bride to see what style cake she likes and she choose the following: (picture is attached-pg 125 of Wilton Wedding Cakes, A Romantic Portfolio book) I guess that serves me right for giving a price before the bride looked at pictures. I have just finished 3 days of making lillies for the cake and I am just curious on what price some of you would have charged? Normally, I would have charged at least $350.00. I'm just wondering if I charging too low? Sorry if I didn't add the attachment properly, I am new to posting.
LL

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 8

I would have charged $570 plus delivery. Delivery would have been about $50.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 8

I think it's great customer service what you are doing for your former co-worker. If she never balks at prices and refers you to friends and family members, it's not like she is trying to take advantage of you. Of course, I wouldn't let her get away with this twice icon_wink.gif

I think the little you will lose on this cake will go a long way in referrals.

Make sure to leave some business cards with the cake, too.

As far as a regular price for it, I don't sell wedding cakes so can't help you there.

Good luck!

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 8

No help with the pricing, but make sure she doesn't tell anyone how much she paid for the cake. You don't want others to start coming to you for the same thing..... icon_wink.gif

Jen

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 8

Does the bride actually need that much cake?

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 8

I have made this cake a couple of times, once the flowers are done its pretty simple to put together. I got the flowers done in a day. As far as the price, you have already told your friend what you would do it for before you saw the cake she wanted. Looks like you might be stuck, however I would make sure the bride needs this much cake, and for sure tell your friend that you are taking a hit on this one and that you would appreciate her not blabbing about what she paid.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Does the bride actually need that much cake?

good question. that's 188 servings per the wilton chart (not counting the 6"). Under Debi's 60% Rule, that means she has invited over 300 guests.

jmcooley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcooley Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all your responses. According to my former coworker she has invited appx 300 people. I never spoke with the bride. Actually I'll never meet her. All transactions are being done through my coworker. She will pay me a week before its due and I'll deliver it to the hall. I will make sure to ask her not to let anyone know what she is paying. She does know she is getting an extremely good deal and I do get a lot of orders from her in which she has always paid what I ask. My lesson here to to see the work that will be involved before giving a price. I have only done a few wedding cakes before and they were all for family, so I need to work out a price list for when a non family member asks me for one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%