Why Am I Having So Much Trouble With Mmf

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 5:33pm by Loucinda

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:09am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys,
I really love the look of Fondant as many of my customers but I don't like the taste. YUK I have been messing around with fondant and though I love the taste I'm having a hard time using it. The last time I made it came out really really dry and broke apart. So I tried to just add water and it came out really sticky which made it really difficult to put on the cake. I'm having a really hard time getting the fondany off the mat without it breaking or ripping.
PLEASE Help.

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:15am
post #2 of 9

I got sick of messing with MMF so I just decided to order FondX or Pettinice and pass the costs onto the customers. Its always reliable and easy to work with and I think especially FondX tastes very similar to MMF.

Just a thought. I know I'm no help.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:17am
post #3 of 9

First off, most folks add too much powdered sugar for the MMF recipe. (which results in crumbly dry mess) I make it by hand so that I can feel what it is doing - and know when enough powdered sugar has been added.

the 2nd thing is to not roll it out too thin, it will tear easily when rolled too thin.

To roll it out nicely and it not be too sticky - I use just a little bit of crisco on the mat and the rolling pin (and I sometimes knead some into the fondant too) I have never had any issues with it doing it this way. (and I have also taught students with it this way and it works great)

Hope that helps some.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:18am
post #4 of 9

I found that adding shortening to the mmf when mixing helps alot and also using shortening when rolling instead of ps keeps it moist. HTH

Stephanie

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:19am
post #5 of 9

I love mmf and have a good recipe that never gives me any trouble. It's so much cheaper, too so you can retain the extra money.

It broke because you added too much powdered sugar.

You can't just add water to mmf if it's too dry. You'd have to add more marshmallows as well because they provide the elasticity.

Give us your recipe and tell how you're making it (by hand, in stand mixer, etc.).

I find it easiest to make it in the mixer. You also need to realize that it's going to be sticky. If you add so much sugar that it's no longer a little tacky then it'll be dry. I just add enough sugar until it pulls on my finger but doesn't stick to it. I then grease my hands with Crisco and scrape it out of the bowl. As it cools, it gets less stringy and acquires the right consistency.

Hope this helps.
~C

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:29am
post #6 of 9

thanks for the advice I was adding powder sugar until it wasn't stringy any more I guess thats way too much. I use my blender and I use the recipe found on this website. I would love more advise. I am pretty darn good with store bought fondat and I really want to have the same results.
Thanks

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:13am
post #7 of 9

When you put crisco on your mats and fingers does it change or alter the taste of the MMF?

frostings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostings Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 9

I found the same thing when I made my first batch of MMF according to the instructions. I think it called for 9 cups of sugar and now I only use 6-6.5 cups. The more you make it, the more you'll know how much to add. I usually start with 4 cups and then add one more at a time. I also use shortening as my work surface and on my hands and I find that helps to keep it moist and stretchy.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 9

No, you use such a small amount of the crisco, you do not even know it is there. It does not add any taste whatsoever to the MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%