Shortening In Smbc Or Imbc?

Baking By alanahodgson Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 10:33pm by BakingGirl

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:58am
post #1 of 10

Has anybody ever added shortening to a SMBC or IMBC recipe to add stability? If so how did it taste? Did it work? I've never made either of these icings and I want to give them a try but I'm concerned about the stability.

9 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 10

I thought I have read someone doing that before. I do not know how much to add and the results though.

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 10

I can't help you with your question but I would like to know what SMBC and IMBC are. I am assuimng the BC stands for buttercream but I am clueless as to the rest. TIA

June

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 10

Swiss meringue and Italian meringue.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 10

I know IMBC is supposed to be one of the most stable buttercreams, certainly more so than all butter American buttercream. I have successfully used IMBC on cakes which have been outside in high heat and humidity. Obviously the IMBC got quite soft, but it did not slide off the cake.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 10

I would never even consider this! I only use SMBC. The great thing is that a well chilled cake travels well. Now you cannot leave it sit out in the sun for five hours on a hot day. I plan out all my delivery time to the service time of the cake.

I did ave a cake out on a hot day once and it never melted off the cake.

Shayenne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shayenne Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 10

Good question JuneHawk I didn't know either what it was.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 10

NEVER, Never ever! I tried it once and it was just awful, greasy and heavy, completely changed the texture and taste. Yuck!

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 10

Do these buttercreams crust? SMBC and IMBC that is. See? I'm learning the lingo icon_wink.gif

June

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 10

No, the meringue buttercreams do not crust. The texture is quite different to powdered sugar type of BCs. Very smooth and silky. The best way of smoothing meringue buttercreams is using a hot spatula, you can get a very nice finish that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%