My Mission-To Make Every Cmd Cake!

Baking By gilpnh Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 2:22pm by vww104

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 11:29pm
post #31 of 85

I didn't find a chocolate peanut butter cake, but there is a Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars recipe (page 326) that sounds good, probably could be a cake with some adjustment. Janice

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 12:55pm
post #32 of 85

Well, I didn't find it at Sam's Club lastnight. I will try WalMart and if it's not there I'll have to go back to Books-A-Million. I know they have it. They have the Cupcake Doctor and the Chocolate CMD as well.

Beebug123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beebug123 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:12pm
post #33 of 85

I was at our WalMart and they had both the CMD book and the cupcake one. Too bad I was in such a hurry and paid full price for it icon_rolleyes.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 3:49am
post #34 of 85

I have seen the book at of all places Home Depot! I wonder if they sell it at Lowes too.. icon_razz.gif

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 12:34pm
post #35 of 85

Well maybe I should have went to Home Depot!LOL! I ended up with the chocolate CMD. I went to two different WalMart stores, a Target, and Books-A-Million! One Walmart had a Cupcake CMD but nothing else and Books-A-Million had the Chocolate and Cupcake but not the plain ole' CMD! The clerk said they must not have any on the shelves. DUHHHHH!! So I just went with the Chocolate and licked my wounds all the way home!!

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 10:20pm
post #36 of 85

I made a couple more cakes out of this book last week so I thought I'd share the results (too bad I can't really share the results - they were tasty!).

I made Susan's Lemon Cake last week with the lemon buttercream frosting. I didn't think the lemon cake was very lemony and the buttercream was too lemony but I think they balanced each other out! The cake was very moist and got good reviews. Since I am in Denver I did use sugar free gelatin which worked great. (that was a tip from the CMD website).

Saturday I made the Hummingbird Cake with a pineapple filling and cream cheese frosting. Everyone (myself included) LOVED this cake. It was moist and full of flavor. This one will be on my list of all time favorites!

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 4:22am
post #37 of 85

I made the Darn good chocolate cake - I think its in the Chocolate CMD book...it was very rich and moist. Some of the "critics" didn't prefer the chocolate chips being suspended throughout the cake, but the true chocoholics LOVED it! It depends on your audience, I guess. I definitely recommend making the cake!

Esther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Esther Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 11:27pm
post #38 of 85

just got the book and I made the banana cake. I only tasted the cakescraps but OMG its YUMMI! the cinnamon leaves a tiny little spicey aftertaste, it's simply awsome. I will fill it tmrw with the recipe what they use on top of the banana-puddingcake. can't wait to taste the endresult icon_smile.gif

empress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
empress Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 3:46am
post #39 of 85

Esther,

When you made the banana cake did you think that the mixture was too liquidy? Even after beating for the correct amount of time, I thought it was pretty runny. When it baked, it was pretty flat and dense. How did yours come out? It was very moist and yummy according to the Guinea Pigs at DH's office. detective.gif

Lera

Esther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Esther Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 1:03pm
post #40 of 85

actually I did think it was to liquid, so i beat it a little bit longer than recomendet and it came out thicker. I baked it for about 32-33 minutes and the cake came out great. pretty moist (i think because of the mashed bananas) but not to much. the center rised up pretty high and I had alot of cakecraps from leveling. but other then that it's just like you said. it's YUMMMMIIIIIIII

(i mixed the cakescraps with peanutbutter, dipped them in dark chocolate and covered them with coconut. AWSOME, but only for sweet tooths LOL)

empress Posted 16 Jul 2005 , 5:53pm
post #41 of 85

I also wanted to mention a couple of the recipes that I have done. I made the White Chocolate Cake with White Chocoalte Cream Cheese Frosting. I filled with raspberry filling (the Solo kind). It was great cake. Everyone who tried it said so. The white chocolate does not carry much of a flavor punch IMHO. It does add to texture (and expense of the cake). It kept well and I will make it again for a special occasion.

I also made the Basic Pound Cake the other day for a cake to go under mm fondant. IT wanted a sturdy cake for the fondant. I did add 1/4 teaspoon of lemon oil to the batter which gave it a very light lemon flavor and fragrance. If I wanted more lemon, I would add more like 1/2 teaspoon. I was pleased with it. Filled it with lemon curd mixed with buttercream and everyone really liked it.

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Lera

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:04am
post #42 of 85

Finally back from vacation Frosting Friends!! My cake selection this week from CMD is on pg 36 and is the DARN GOOD CHOCOATE CAKE, and it is all that icon_biggrin.gif

This cake uses a devils food mix, chocolate pudding, sour cream and chocoate chips. WOW. Can you say RICH?

To start with , the batter alone is worth skipping the baking and just licking the bowl. The batter is thick, creamy and a promise of things to come!

Baked in a bundt this cake come out MOIST MOIST MOIST and very rich. You can actually see the glistening moistness in the photo, the chocolate chips suspended in the cake. The recipie does not call for a frosting, and the cake stands fine alone without one, but my graveyard guineas opinion is that it would benefit from a light frosting, one that would not compete with the richness of the cake. Cool whip and ice cream were suggested. A chocolate ganache drizzled over the top I believe would complement this cake also if you are wanting to die a chocolate induced death.
I got up at 2am the other morning and grabbed a can of generic canned white cream cheese frosting out of the fridge (we keep one on hand for a quick cupcake fix when needed) and slathered it on this cake. UH UH. Way to much going on there, the flavors competed and really ruined the experience for me. Heck, at 2am, anything is an experience.
After looking through CC at other posts on this cake, it is my concensus that the majority really enjoy this cake also. A standout thus far in the book. A slice of this cake really must be followed by 1/2 a gallon of ice cold milk.

I give this cake a solid 5 guineas, assuming a complementing frosting. Regular cake folks will like it, true chocolate lovers will swoon.
LL

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 12:57am
post #43 of 85

WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING

This frosting is delicious, but I find it's much too soft to work with for decorating. I ended up almost doubling the pdrd sugar, which kind of eliminates the "not too sweet" that the recipe is going for. I will end up using buttercream for my decorating.

Anyone else use it? Were you able to decorate with it or just fill and frost?

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 11:35pm
post #44 of 85

If you haven't tried the Creamy Filling on page 205 (from the Pumpkin Roulade recipe), you must! It's a delicious cream cheese filling. I've tried it made with whipped topping, as written, and the whipped heavy cream variation. Both are soooooo good.

I love the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe as well, but prefer it made with a German Chocolate or Chocolate Fudge mix instead of Devil's Food. I've made it as a bundt cake, but I love to make it in 8-inch layers, which I torte into 4 layers, fill with chocolate whipped cream and ice with dark chocolate ganache. It's a chocoholic's dream!

nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:48pm
post #45 of 85

I really enjoyed reading your evaluations, Gilpnh. Did you give up on your quest? I imagine it gets expensive, let alone calorie laden! But what fun!!

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 6:00pm
post #46 of 85

This was interesting, I don't have the book but will now look for it. Please people keep updating this thread.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 1:15pm
post #47 of 85

In the regular cake mix doctor book I made the carrot cake recipe, it is much different then people may be used to as it has a white or yellow cake mix as it's base, and you use orange juice in it icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif but it makes the cake nice and fluffy and not soo heavy tasting. A fellow carrot cake lover gave it 2 thumbs up- definetely needs cream cheese frosting on it.

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 5:09pm
post #48 of 85

I made the Holy Cow cake upon recommendation. It has chocolate cake then you put holes in it and put caramel over it while it's still hot. You top it with a cream cheese/whipped cream mixture and then put crushed candy bars on top. She suggests Butterfinger or Heath I think. I used the caramel chocolate chip swirls by Nestle as my family doesn't all like one of those two. I think the cake was a little too sweet. Next time, I'm making it with German chocolate cake mix. The caramel didn't get all the way through either. I don't know if I didn't do enough holes or what. I poked them with a straw and didn't want too many holes! (Although it is called HOLY cow cake!) It's not a cake to decorate, but it does go over well for potlucks or family gatherings with sweet freaks like me!

Kelly

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 4:49pm
post #49 of 85

Hey Folks,

Back Again. No I didn't give up the quest but its been an interesting last few months. My sitter quit at the last minute, no notice. I could not at 4pm on the Friday before school started Monday, get a sitter or day care. My 3 year old boys have 1/2 day title I pre school, need to be dropped off/picked up, and my 8 yo son goes to Christian School across town, also drop off & pick up. So I quit my "night job". I love being a nurse and working the floor but my needs are for my family right now. I figured for what I was paying the nanny a month, that would pay my portion of our bills and I could stay at home, (we have the luxury of a subsidy from the state for adopting our boys from DFS, that is what has paid for childcare & schooling) which had been on my mind alot any how.

In addition to that, my grandparents moved here from AZ, they paid me to take care of them in their duplex so that I could at least afford health insurance at $600 month (I am so high risk no one will touch me) my grandmother got worse and I lost both my grandmas in the last 2 weeks,
needless to say, as much as I love to cook and bake, it has been on the "back burner". The funeral is Monday and I will be hosting the family at my home this weekend, my DH is currently taking my grandpa out to breakfast so I can get the house cleaned. (my 3 boys tearing it up faster than I can clean it icon_rolleyes.gif )

All this aside, I hope to get back "in the game" in a few weeks, I am actually busier as a SAHM than I ever was working full time night shift.

I love to cook (I joined a freezer cooking coop) and bake, it is what relaxes me, even with the interruptions. Thanx for keeping me in mind Frosting Friends. Will fire the oven back up soon.

Heather

nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 7:15pm
post #50 of 85

So sorry to hear about your Grandmas!! What a blow to lose both of them so close together! My sympathy and prayers go out to you and your family. I hope your Grandfather finds comfort in being close to you now. Sounds like you have a very busy life. Take care and enjoy your baking when you can.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:49am
post #51 of 85

gilpnh,
I am so sorry to hear about your grandmothers. You have had quite a few changes in your life very quickly. I hope all settles for you soon.

On a lighter note, (Well, it depends on how you look at it.) I made the turtle cake tonight for my fathers b-day. YUMMMMMY I highly recommend this cake. It is for the true sweet tooth only though. Devils food cake, carmel, pecans, and chocolate -- it is moist and VERY rich. The family loved it!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 12:46pm
post #52 of 85

I am very sorry to hear your about your loses. I'm sure everything will start looking up very soon!

On my CMD note, I tried the Chocolate marbel gooey butter cake yesterday. Very tasty. I used chocolate cream cheese instead of regular, and didn't get as much of a marbled effect. End pieces are the best as it gets all chewy, caramely. Mine however,did not stay jiggly in the centre, but was on the sides. On baked for maybe 30 minutes, but my over heats too hot, even with me monitoring with an oven thermometer. Anyway, very yummy.

I tried earlier in the year one of the biscotti recipes. Those who ate them loved them, I thought they were too cakey. I have also tried a cookie recipe in the CMD and again too cakey for me, but kids loved them. Hold up well to use cookie cutters with.

SimplyDenyse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyDenyse Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:18pm
post #53 of 85

Im waiting for my book to come in and I can't wait to try it out. Have you tried anymore new recipe's?

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:22pm
post #54 of 85

I use the "staple" recipes in the bake, nothing fancy just things like youghurt white cake, sour cream white cake, buttermilk chocolate cake. They are all pretty great recipes.

Oh at Christmas I tried the yule log cake and it was great as well.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:50pm
post #55 of 85

SYMPATHY FOR YOUR FAMILY!
GALD TO HEAR YOU COULD STAY HOME WITH YOUR BOYS.
I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED FOLLOWING THIS THREAD, JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU! AND KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!

bekahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahd Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:20pm
post #56 of 85

You have a most enormously generous heart! Thank you for your example of service to your family and others!

I just heard about this thread recently, and it's convinced me to pick up a copy of CMD as soon as humanly possible! Thanks for the inspiration.

Bekah Marshall

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 3 May 2006 , 8:26pm
post #57 of 85

My favorite chocolate cake is from the original CMD- Devishly Good Chocolate Cake...instead of using semi-sweet chocolate I use Milk Chocolate baking chocolate....way better!!!!
Here are two good combos
Devishly Good chocolate, filled with butterscotch pudding, frosted with chocolate cream cheese frosting
Devishly Good chocolate, filed with a raspberry non-dairy cream, frosted with chocolate cream cheese frosting.
You can bake the Devishly Good Chocolate cake in regular cake pans.
Yummy! Yummy!

empress Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 6:11pm
post #58 of 85

Hi,

I just wanted to bump this up to the top again. I had a chocolate cake taste off last week with my DH. I was looking for the cake I will use for a wedding in September. Of course, the book is at home, but it was one of the cakes out of the first CMD book. I put two of the CMD chocolate cakes up against the Devil's Food scratch cake from the Cook's Illustrated new cookbook. I made them all according to the directions--no freelancing--and the CI cake came in a distant third. Now it was REALLY sharply chocolate, but not what we wanted to eat. I made cupcakes and we tried them all plain. I know which was which, but DH did not. I will post the two CMD cake names tomorrow...just to keep you in suspence and the fact that I can't remember which won. detective.gifbirthday.gif

SimplyDenyse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyDenyse Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 6:37pm
post #59 of 85

I have yet to make anything from the CMD but I did make 2 recipes from the Cupcakes CMD book so i thought Id would share..

The Key Lime Pie cupcakes they were so yummy!! I had lots of positives reiviews on these. I will definitely be making these again. Sorry, no pics (they got eaten too fast!!)

The Cookies and Cream Cupcakes IMO I thought they were just ok. Pretty much the cup cake is an Oreo cookie on the bottom, white cake mix with crushed Oreo cookie in the middle and butter cream icing on top. I used their BC icing recipe and it tasted just like the Oreo cookie filling to me. The on top is sprinkled crushed Oreo. My husband thought they were good but I thought the Oreo on the bottom tasted a little burnt, plus I'm not much of an Oreo cookie eater. I guess if you like the cookies and cream taste you would like these, it just wasn't for me.
LL

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:30pm
post #60 of 85

I'm wondering if the other books, the Cupcake and the Chocolate books are worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%