Cakes Too Moist

Baking By licia Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 2:45am by CakeRN

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 10

I HAVE BEEN USING THE ENHANCED CAKE MIX RECIPES AND THE CAKES HAVE BEEN TOO MOIST. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TOO ALTER THE RECIPE TO MAKE IT FIRMER.

THANKS,

LICIA

9 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 10

Does this recipe call for sour cream? If so, leave that out, that is what will make it very moist.

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 10

yes, it does call for sour cream. Thanks you have been a great help.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 10

Or maybe try reducing the amount of sour cream needed.

CinWoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinWoo Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 10

I have this problem when I use Pillsbury cake mix and do the enhanced. I have better luck when enhancing using BC or DH. Pillsbury's cake are very moist even when you don't doctor them. IMHO

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 10

I agree. I prefer to use DH. I don't add sour cream.

I reduce the amount of water to 1 cup, add an extra egg, some flavoring (be it vanilla, raspberry, etc) and a box of pudding. I sift everything too.

Never have a problem with my cake being too moist. Or dry. I did have a problem once when I froze....but other than that, no issues.

wehmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wehmom Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 10

I heard on another forum that DH is the only cake mix that doesn't have pudding in it. That may be the problem with it being too moist.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:29am
post #8 of 10

I've been using DH with the enhanced cake recipe for a little while now.
The only think I've started to do differently is to use 1/2 the butter. They seem to come out just perfect then.

CinWoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinWoo Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:39am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by czyadgrl

I've been using DH with the enhanced cake recipe for a little while now.
The only think I've started to do differently is to use 1/2 the butter. They seem to come out just perfect then.

Which receipe calls for butter? The one I use has 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 8 oz sour cream, salt and vanilla. I'm confussed now! LOL

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:45am
post #10 of 10

Adding sugar to a cake mix will make it very moist too. I made a cake once that had the pudding, extra egg, sour cream and sugar and it did not make it out of the pan in one piece. It was too moist to come out. I chucked the recipe and started adding the SF pudding mix. instead of the regular. The regular pudding mix has sugar in it and then if you add more sugar.....welll....get my drift...too moist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%