Buttercream Question

Decorating By sweetpea333 Updated 10 Sep 2006 , 12:19pm by LittleBigMomma

sweetpea333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea333 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:23am
post #1 of 8

I want to make blue buttercream but there is 1 problem.The butter here is yellow,like the pic of my practice basket weave in the gallery.That's as pale as I can get it. Everytime I put blue in it,it goes green icon_cry.gif

Has anyone got any ideas?

thankyou

7 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:02am
post #2 of 8

Boy, that is yellow! They make a whitener - Wilton and Americolor. Can you get either of those? I have also heard to put a bit of violet in buttercream to offset the yellow (just a tiny bit). Wonder if you use the violet with the blue if it would work?

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:12am
post #3 of 8

Health food stores sell all-white butter. I've also read that you can whip butter for a short time and it will then turn white. Maybe add white coloring at this time, too? Someone here said that Land O' Lakes butter is whiter; maybe whip that?

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:13am
post #4 of 8

I personally don't like the taste of butter cream, I always use the wilton class icing, which is just crisco and is more white. For me personally i can't stand the taste of the butter. Lucky for me I haven't had any complaints using the class icing to ice my cakes. =)

sweetpea333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea333 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:25am
post #5 of 8

hi

Isawyer, I've never seen Land O' Lakes butter here...I'm not sure if our health food shops sell butter either.

Tiffysma, I can buy Americolor and Wilton gels here online.I never thought that I could get a buttercream whitener.

luv2giggls, There are Wilton products that I can get but I'm unsure if the wilton class icing is one of those.

thankyou for all the replys and your help...
I will look into all of these...

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 8

hi sweatpea333

i had the same trouble with my buttercream but i brought the wiltons icing whitener from cake deco in melbourne, and it does whiten the icing

in my photos i have a pirate ship that is blue, i used a brand of food color called corella royal blue but you still need a lot of it.

hope this helps

kylie

tccksmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tccksmith Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 8

I learned a good trick from the Whimsical Bake house book. Use Candy Coloring. The Wilton Candy Blue was perfect for me. The candy colors come out way more vibrant and I don't think you have to use that much.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 8

You could use an all shortening icing recipe and if you want your icing to the have the flavor of buttercream use Wilton or another brand of butter flavoring/extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%