I'm Terrified!

Decorating By Alyson88 Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 1:56am by flowers40

Alyson88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alyson88 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 12

I am new to cake decorating and have been taking the Wilton classes. My family are not cake people at all and I want to practice and make cakes. Anyways my Uncle said if I made a cake he would definetly take it to work and the people there will eat anything. So I've made this yellow cake, chocolate filling, and buttercream icing but i have the biggest fear that it will taste horrible. I am terrified to let him take the cake and it taste like crap. How do you send a cake out with confidence?!?! icon_redface.gif I guess it's a stupid thing to be worried about but I can't get it off of my mind!

11 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 12

It sounds delicious!! And I am sure it will taste just awesome! Don't fret=) Jen

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 12

I worried about that too when I first started out. But I find the more cakes I do, the more confidence I get. Also when you get feedback from the people who eat the cake also helps. Time and experience will ease your nerves..

Mary

Alyson88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alyson88 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the boost of confidence!

Machel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Machel Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 12

You can always save the top after you level your cake and put a little filling and icing on it and taste it. I made the huge mistake of not tasting a sponge cake and took it to a party and it was awful - super salty for some reason. Quite embarrasing.

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 12

Stck to tied and true recipes that people say are good, and don't forget to ask for totally honest opinions. You need to get a thick skin after that...I ask for honest and sometimes I didn't like what I heard.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 12

Taste it for yourself first, if you thinks it's horrible...well, it might be and if you think it tastes good, then it probably isn't bad at all. At least you'll know its edible if you taste it yourself icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Can't be that bad...it's cake! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I have comment cards...I'm a chicken, I'd rather see it in writing than have to ask. LOL LOL LOL I'm silly so I hope you've relaxed a bit...what doesn't kill you CAN only make you stronger (and smarter icon_wink.gif )....you'll live to bake another day.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:02am
post #8 of 12

I LIKE that "comment card" idea..... make sure he tells them what you are doing, that you are just beginning, and place the cards by the cake.... GOOD LUCK !! I'm SURE you will get raves !!

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:18am
post #9 of 12

I second Machel! My husband always eats my cake tops with some filling and frosting on them. If I did something wrong that way, he'll be the first to know!

I'm sure they'll love it!

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:36am
post #10 of 12

Well, where did you get the recipe? If people are down with boxed, they'll probably be down with scratch. They won't even notice. Find a way to save a little bit for yourself and then if you don't like it change the recipe nextime. People eat worse things than cake that's not 100% great (like some fast food places GROSS). But I'm sure it's great. Just go for it. It's practice. No one's paying for it, right?

(Did I offend anyone with that fast food thing? Sorry, I know some people love it).

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:50am
post #11 of 12

I guess you need to believe in what you do! Your cake sounds wonderful....I love yellow cake with chocolate. If you get a comment, for instance, that they found your cake a little dry. Don't get down on yourself! Just start thinking of things you'd change to make it better. Afterall, you want the best product out there! What a great way to see if others like your product. I'm sure they will if you give them the chance!

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:56am
post #12 of 12

I always get a taste of my cakes when I have to level them. There is hardly any time when I don't have something to level. I have tried new recipes like snickerdoodle cake that I was not crazy about it, and just made a mental note that I would not use that recipe again. Most people will at least try anything sweet. And you want people to be honest, otherwise you can't learn what tastes good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%