Gumpaste Flowers Question

Decorating By TamNan Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 1:35am by 2yummy

TamNan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamNan Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 9

I have just started doing gumpaste. I love it, but I was only able to purchase the quick set of rose cutters and some other plain cutters. Do you have to use cutters to make all of gumpaste flowers, i.e. orchids and lilies? Maybe some help on other things I will need to make other flowers besides roses and forget me nots? I really love this stuff, I was never really good at BC roses. Can flowers be hand cut and formed? Is there some instructional pictures somewhere available without buy any DVDs?
I may have to save $ to buy DVD. Thanks

8 replies
ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 9

Yes you can cut around a template instead of using cutters (cutters just make it more convenient etc) I went to a demonstration recently and the lady doing it said she would go out to the garden pick a flower pull it apart to see what shapes the petals etc were and then draw up a template in the shape of the petals and cut around it with a knife. So it can be done. I made my waterlily (the one in my avatar) by making up a cardboard template from one in a book.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:19am
post #3 of 9

The calla lily can be made with a heart cutter, the flowers on the wedding cake in my pics are callas made with that.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:52am
post #4 of 9

Don't spend $ on a DVD just yet. There are lots of instructions listed right here if you search the older posts in the forums. Also, if you can't find what you're looking for, make a post asking for instructions. I've done that for several flowers and people have always been very kind and sent me the instructions, usually with pictures as an added bonus, too.

If you want an inexpensive set of starter cutters for a lot of flowers, grab the Wilton gumpaste flowers kit at Michael's or Hobby Lobby with a 40% or 50% off coupon (regularly about $21). It also comes with a book, though some of the instructions in it aren't the greatest.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 9

anthuriums can be made with a large heart cutter as well. birthday.gif

TamNan Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I will cont. to work on the process. I think it will become my favorite way to make flowers.

TamNan Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 9

If anyone out there in CC land has any threads to look at about makeing gumpaste flowers, that would be great?!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:16am
post #8 of 9

have you looked for the wilton set in the craft store??? it comes with a book adn a ton of different cutters......probably makes at least 20 different types of flowers....has the tools, the sponges, the mat, rolling pin ......everything you need to get started except the wire for the stems!!! It's only like 20 dollars......and if you use a 40% off coupon it's really a cheap buy!!! I don't think you could buy all the cutters separately that cheap!

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:35am
post #9 of 9

There are great instructions on www.sugarcraft.com for calla lilles. I just went over them. The instructions look really simple and you probably already have the things in your home that you need to make them. Look under lessons. There are other flowers also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%