Newbie Questions!

Baking By aminaz Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 8:40pm by TooMuchCake

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 13

i'm new to cookie decorating but got inspired by the video on youtube where a lady shows you in detail how to make, bake and decorate a cookie. so i thought i will give it a go and see how it goes .i've never really tasted big cookies like the ones shown here but they look yum. i wonder how long they will last before they start to become soggy? how to you apply icing so evenly? do you use a spatula like in cake decorating or a knife?
how long before can it be made before it can be given as a present?
i've got plenty more questions but i'l ask only these for now! hope someone can help?! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 13

I use a variation of Wilton's roll-out cookie recipe, which is not very different from the No-Fail recipe you can find here.

We once did an experiment to see how long a cookie would still taste good, and we left one on the counter for three weeks. No small feat around this house, I assure you! While it didn't taste exactly *fresh* it didn't taste bad, either. icon_rolleyes.gif I don't recommend giving three-week old cookies to your friends, but I don't have a problem giving my friends cookies that are a few days old.

Deanna

TooMuchCake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 13

As far as the icing goes, I personally use royal icing to ice my cookies. Some people like to use fondant cut-outs or a glaze. The royal works for me, though, so I do that.

Don't forget to show us pictures of your cookies when you make yours!

Deanna

aminaz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:23am
post #4 of 13

thanks deanna for your advice.
i was thinking of doing iced cookies for a bride as a wedding favour. now i've never done cookies before but i realy like the idea. so maybe a few days ahead will b too soon to make and package them and decorate them as they will nearly 90 of them! i know i'm crazy for taking up such a project but ilke challenges! icon_biggrin.gif
is there any advice to give?
is there a way of making royal icing to have a pearly sheen like you do with fondant using luster dust?can i do them a week in advance?
can i use fondant flowers to put on royal icing like on a wedding cake cookie?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:14am
post #5 of 13

Here's a thread on cookie bouquets:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-230831-.html

However, it also has a cookie tutorial, recipes for various cookies & glazes, icings, comparisons and more.)

HTH

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:58am
post #6 of 13

Lots of people put fondant accents on the cookies, and they look very nice. Your imagination is really your only limit. I like to use Toba's Glaze to ice the cookies (which is the same as Wilton's Poured Cookie Icing). I can make up a small amount or large, depending on what I need. I put the icing in a decorator's bag and use different tips depending on whether I'm flooding the cookie or doing details.
I agree with Deanna...the cookies have a pretty long shelf life! You can also bake them ahead of time and freeze them, then decorate as you get closer to the deadline, which helps when having to do a LOT of cookies.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 13

I use Penny's Cookies recipe. It's really a good one and posted on this site. I got this recipe from her demonstration I attended in the Dallas area. She said that she bakes her cookies and stores them for up to 3 months in an air tight container. She used to supply Starbucks with all their cookies. Not sure if she still does and she said they had to have a long shelf life in order for her to supply companies like that. She used Royal Icing, which I didn't care for, but the cookies are wonderful. When I bake them, they never last longer than a few days and I'd never leave them on the shelf for 3 months, maybe a couple of weeks.

aminaz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 13

thanks for the advice everyone!
i need to know how to package the cookies indvidually? i like how some in the gallery have packaged theres. what do the use? i need to know exactly so i'l go to ebay and purchase it.

aminaz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 13

thanks for the advice everyone!
i need to know how to package the cookies indvidually? i like how some in the gallery have packaged theres. what do the use? i need to know exactly so i'l go to ebay and purchase it.

TooMuchCake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 13

If I don't have access to cello bags like we used at the chocolate shop, I go to my craft store and buy Wilton's cookie bags. They sell two sizes, a "treat" bag and a "cookie" bag. Buy the larger one. It's flat, clear, and has no gusset. Then I usually tie them with ribbon at the top, but sometimes if I need a cleaner finish I wrap the excess bag towards the back and tape it down.

I do use luster and petal dusts on my cookies and it works great over the royal icing. I'll see if I have any pics I can put up to show you what it looks like.

Deanna

TooMuchCake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 13

I can't find the pic of the rabbit cookies that I got an award for, I think they're on my husband's computer and I don't have access to it. They had petal dust on them and they looked great.

Here's a pic of horses that have gold luster dust on them.

Deanna
LL

aminaz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 13

wow deanna they are lovely!!i wish i can do that! so can you use for example pearl luster dust on all of the cookie to get a sheen instead of just a little area? and how do you apply it? i dont drink alcohol so if there is anything else to mix it with? can you mix it with the royal icing when applying the base?

TooMuchCake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 13

If you just want a light sheen, use a soft brush like a brand-new makeup brush or very soft artist's brush and brush the dusts on dry, without mixing them with anything. If you want a lot of concentrated color like the gold on the horses, mix a little dust with lemon extract to paint with. I don't drink either, so I use the lemon extract because it still has enough alcohol to evaporate quickly. Don't mix the dusts with the icing because the icing will just absorb it and it won't show. Wait until the icing dries and then apply the dust.

I made pink heart cookies to show a bride, as an example for party favors. When the pink royal icing glaze was dry, I dusted them with antique silk luster dust. Then I piped the bride's initial on the top along with a pretty border. It was very nice, sort of subtle but still you could see it and it was very elegant.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%