Business Name Ideas?

Business By ME2 Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 2:45am by leta

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 14

I'm looking into the future (because I'm still a begnner, but am LOVING this cake decorating thing!) and contemplating the possibility of developing a home business making cakes (yes, I'm looking into the very strict rules in Texas) and am trying to think of a name.

I LOVE making 3D cakes. Sheet cakes bore me to tears.....

As far as I know, none of the local bakeries do that regularly so think I could find a niche. I was considering the name "3D by M.E" or "ME 2 You" (see my sig) but the folks who would be most likely to buy 3d cakes would be those willing to spend more $$ for it (not about to price them same as a sheet cake!) and my husband and I both thought that these names were a bit on the cutsy side and didn't know if it would attract the type of clientel I'm after.

Any comments or other name ideas?

13 replies
SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 14

3D by M.E. is cute!

CinWoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinWoo Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 14

I like it. 3D by ME

ME2 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:35am
post #4 of 14

So you don't think it's too cutsy? I want it memorable, but not silly....

Anyother name suggestions?

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:54am
post #5 of 14

i think it is a little to cutsy if you are trying to attract more of a "prestigious" customers.....

i am not sure if your customers would get the whole concept of "ME"... and imho i think that is where the "cutsy" is causing you issue. so you might want to just try maybe your first name like 3D by marla or cake creations by marla....

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:59am
post #6 of 14

How bout Sweet Dimensions =)

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:02am
post #7 of 14

personally I like "3D by Me." It rolls off the tongue nicely. Hey, Elisa Strauss has "Confetti Cakes" and that is real cutsie.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:03am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2giggls

How bout Sweet Dimensions =)

I like that one.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:07am
post #9 of 14

OOOO, I like Sweet Dimensions!
I've been trying to think of a name as well, as I am so close to getting a kitchen to use. My sis in law told me that if I use my name in the business name, it will probably save me from having to d a fictitious name search, thus saving me more money. We'll see. Good luck!

CinWoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinWoo Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:07am
post #10 of 14

How about Cake Dementions (sp?), Dementions in Cake, Cake Sculputure (sp?) by Marla

There are a lot of Sweet ---- out there which is why I changed my co. name from Sweet Celebrations to Cherry Lane Cakes. There were four other bakers with Sweet in there co. name.

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 14

I would try to come up with something real catchy to set you apart from all the rest. Something people may see once but will remember for a long time. I was in either upstate NY or PA a while ago and noticed a billboard advertisement for a catering company. Their name was "Let's have an affair" It certainly catches the eye and makes you remember them.

ME2 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:37am
post #12 of 14

A catchy. memorable name is what I'm trying to come up with. I remember a maternity shop I drove past about 11-12 years ago in Irving, TX. It was called Daddy Did It. I still laugh at that one!

I agree with the comments that 3D by M.E. is rather cutesy. One thing good about it is that it would be at the top of the yellow page listings.

Sweet Dimensions is nice too, but like has been posted, there are a lot of bakeries using Sweet.

But I think we're on the right track.....

Any other ideas? While I'm getting better at making cakes, I'm NOT good at coming up with names! Have enough trouble remembering mine....

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:55am
post #13 of 14

Edible Dimensions

Cakes of Dimension

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:45am
post #14 of 14

I think 3D is too ambiguous: is it a computer company? Do they sell scotch tape like 3M? Customers usually don't refer to sculpted or tiered cakes as 3D. In General, you'd have too much 'splainin' to do...

Try this web site:

http://www.yudkin.com/generate.htm

You have plenty of time to develop something catchy and unique to you. Throw out some more ideas. Really Brainstorm.

How 'bout Cakes Sculpted by ME? or Sculpted cakes by ME?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%