Renting A Kitchen Questions...

Business By authress Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 6:39pm by authress

authress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
authress Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 7

So I sent out a few emails regardinga kitchen for hire and I got my first bite. (YAY!) It's a local place where you can go and assemble gourmet meals (with most of the icky prep done for you) to take home and serve, freeze for later, etc. The guy I emailed asked me to call him to discuss.

Questions for all of you fabulous experienced professional cake gurus:

Getting legal is more of a priority than profit for now (keeping the day job with benefits icon_smile.gif so I don't have a set price in mind. Is it essential that I put out the first number or can I place that on him?

Since this place does not do desserts, I think there is potential for mutual benefit. Do you think it's bad form to offer goods as part of the arrangement?

Should this conversation lead to a meeting, I plan to bring a portfolio and some samples. Will I look amaterish if I don't have a formal business plan?

Finally, I assume a contract/rental agreement will result in keys to the establishment. Should I expect to have to offer up proof of my, um, character? Insurance?

Many thanks in advance! Sorry to ramble...

6 replies
marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 7

I thought about a place like this too but I don't think they have an oven! Does yours?

rits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rits Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:59am
post #3 of 7

Hi there. A few things to think about & ask when you meet with this person:

Will your hours be limited by his/his clients' hours? What if you need extra time on a big complicated project - will you get it?

Will you be able to store supplies & equipment at his location, or will you have to haul everything from home every time? Will you be able to lock up your items (chocolate, vanilla, butter - expensive!!)?

Will your cakes/cookies/whatever be sitting in the fridge next to his 50 lb. batch of garlic shrimp? Shared fridge & freezer space is usually a big issue in these arrangements.

I think it's fine to offer up a price of your own, including the ability to trade services. If you feel more comfortable waiting for him to suggest a price, then wait - just know in your head what your limit is & stick to it. I don't think you need a business plan to meet with this person - the only time I've ever had to show mine was to my bank, my accountant & my attorney!

I rent bakery space from another baker (along with 2 other bakers w/ separate businesses, though I am the busiest). These are a few of the things I ran into when i was seeking space.

Hope this helps!

Jen N

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:34am
post #4 of 7

Sorry, I can't really help with this since I'm new to it as well - a local restaurant owner recently just asked me to be his pastry chef, and said I can use his kitchen to prepare all of my baked goods, so now I am legal. So I'm in the process of finding out all the ups and downs, but I don't have to rent space since he's letting me use it for free, so I don't know what a good price would be.

Are you going to baking for this restaurant, or are you going to have to pay them to rent the space? Because if you are going to become the pastry chef for the restaurant, I think he REALLY should give you a break on rent...

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:02am
post #5 of 7

I am very interested in learning more about this as well. I am looking for a place to rent and my problem is that I don't know what would be a good place to rent from? Also how would I contact the person (wording) or put my name out there as wanting to rent a kitchen? Any help would be great!

Veronica

mvhatteras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvhatteras Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:35am
post #6 of 7

I think I would be inclined to let him give you a price first. I am sure he has a number in mind. That way you don't go in a offer more then you had too and if his number is too high then you just tell him that. If it works, it works! If not you move on!

authress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
authress Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice! I spoke with the manager and we're going to meet tomorrow (they do have an oven). I'll let you know how it turns out!

Veronica, below is the email I've been using. I've started with churches, this gourmet place, and I think I'll try a bed and breakfast or two. Good luck!

___

Dear xxx,

My name is xxx and I am in the very early stages of opening a cake/custom dessert business. Since I am in the early stages and plan to begin with special orders only, I am looking to "rent time" in a commercial/licensed kitchen space. My needs right now would be 10-20 hours per month, primarily in the evenings and on weekends. If this is something you would consider in your facility, a reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards,
Dawn Kline

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%