Anyone Ever Had This Happen With Heavy Whipping Cream???

Decorating By madicakes Updated 12 Sep 2006 , 10:04pm by SilkwoodStudios

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 9

I opened my container, tipped it to pour and <gasp> NOTHING came out! I look into the container, cream is there. I squeeze the carton and some comes out....already thickened! It looked like it had been whipped. Not to the consistency you would use it as a dessert topping or anything, but very thick indeed. I smelled it, smelled okay. So I used it since it was just for something for me. Didn't suffer any adverse affects, so I guess it was good. Do you think it got shaken in transport?. Or else a bored grocery clerk had a LOT of time on their hands, all spent shaking cream cartons...lol.

8 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 9

I find that happens to my cream when it goes to room temp and then back to the fridge. Like you said it's still good but none the less not very nice to look at.

SilkwoodStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilkwoodStudios Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 9

yeppers, that happens , especially if it has sat for some time, i ALWAYS shake mine before opening no matter what, guess thats why part of it is "heavy' it will separate to a degree but perfectly fine even for some time after (best buy) or (sell by) date if Unopened.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 9

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. That would explain it as it did sit out for a little bit when I brought it home and forgot to put it in the fridge.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 9

yeah sometimes mine seems clumpy, but it never tasted or smelled funny, everything has always turned out fine. I was wondering what was happening too.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 9

that happened to me but i thought it was bad so i dumped it.

SilkwoodStudios Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 9

I have played the "heavy cream game " for along time now, maybe i take it all for granted now,just do it automatically. I just bought some this afternoon for tonights ganache, i will pay very close attention to its behavior and post observations!

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 9

After you have opened the carton, how long will you use it for - until the expiration date? The carton says best if used within a week of opening but why is that?

SilkwoodStudios Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 9

id say that is about right, at the minimum, alldenps of course oh how good and cold your fridge is and i do try to keep those items NOT on the door where its warmer but closer to the bottom and in the back, where i can forget about them and have to go buy more !AAHH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%