Help! First Paid Cake, Lots Of ????? (A Bit Long)

Decorating By destini377 Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm by DeliciousCreations

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, so I did this Doctor Cake for my brother's med. school graduation a few months ago.

My dh and his buddies are in PA (physician assistant) school in the army and one of them is graduating next month. Dh showed him the Doctor Cake and that is what he wants for his graduation. Ok, fine. He is going to pay me icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif (my first paying cake) Ok, even better!

But he also wants their Army PA logo as an edible image.
1) how do I do that if I don't have an edible image printer?
2) how much extra do I charge for an image?

And they wear their regular uniform under the white coat. I've never done camo before. The new uniform is more digital looking than old uniforms.
1) anyone have any suggestions on how to do this pattern?

Also, what would you charge for this?????

The original cake was two 1/4 sheets stacked. Those were my gift so I didn't figure a price or charge for them.

These will have a tan crewneck t-shirt then the camo coat collar and lapels then the white coat collar over the top of that. (So, a shirt and two coats). A small PA logo on the side along with the stethoscope.

HELP! There are going to be doctors, nurses, hospital commander... lots of exposure! Starting to freak out here! icon_sad.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif
LL
LL

15 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 16

I am no expert by any means but you could do the camo in bc and then do the white doctors jacket over in fondant. The way I have done the camo is make random long and short dots on the cake and smooth it out. You have to have BC or something under the fondant anyways...then do the jacket and lapels in the white fondant....I hope this is what you were asking. As far as the logo you could do it in a FBCT to save money and I have seen some awesome ones. HTH

destini377 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 16

I'm going to have to do the camo pattern in fondant for the whole standing collar/lapel and shirt under effect. I'm just unsure how to do a decent job with these colors and pattern.

And price anyone???????? icon_confused.gif

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 16

oops I am sorry icon_sad.gif

what about doing squares of fondant then rolled. Well maybe all different shapes for the camo...as for the collar and stuff I am unsure...I am sorry I misread....need to pay more attention icon_sad.gif

destini377 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 16

Oh, no you didn't misread! I realized I hadn't been clear - I edited. icon_smile.gif

If I made squares and rolled would they stay together for folding the collar?

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 16

I seen where somebody said to wet inbetween the rolls of fondant when doing stripes so I bet that would work for the squares or misc. type shapes! I think that would work great and also maybe do the collar separate in gp???? I dunno but it sounds like a good try anyways.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 16

Okay-- I have heard that people have been able to get edible images made at Walmart or other grocery stores for a price. There are also some websites that will do edible images. i.e. http://www.sugarcraft.com/
http://kustomcakes.com/shop/

For the camo you could actually get an edible image made of that as well in a full sheet size and apply it to the fondant lapels that need it. That is the only way I can think of to get that very digitalized look.
Make sure you charge enough to cover the cost of the edible image plus your shipping (if web ordered) plus your time to get it made and work with it plus a markup so you profit something from it. I am sorry I don't have a formula for figuring it out.

Hope this helps.

destini377 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 16

Anyone know or have an idea what you would charge for a cake like this??? icon_confused.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 16

I am NOT an expert but I would start out a 1/4 sheet at $40 and then start adding from there. If the cakes in the pic you posted are a sample, I'd charge about $100 each. I know that custom cakes around the DFW area start out at $40. That's just a basic 1/4 sheet iced in buttercream.

Good Luck. I know you will do great. The Dr's cakes are darlin'
thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 16

For the camo, try rolling diff sized balls in diff colors then squishing them together into one big ball, and then roll. Sort of like marbling.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 16

I would think at least 75$ thats just a stab in the dark there is no rhyme or reason for that... I always undercharge (unfortunate for me) depending of course on your edible imaging charges maybe go 100.00

destini377 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks everyone!!! icon_smile.gif I always get a little nutty before a project. icon_redface.gif Ok, well, before, during, and right up until it's outta my hands. icon_rolleyes.gif

cake-angel ~ I have no experience with edible images. Would it be flexible at all once it is on the fondant? I.E. would I be able to bend it w/o destroying the image or would I need to wrap it around the already formed fondant?

destini377 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:20pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks everyone!!! icon_smile.gif I always get a little nutty before a project. icon_redface.gif Ok, well, before, during, and right up until it's outta my hands. icon_rolleyes.gif

cake-angel ~ I have no experience with edible images. Would it be flexible at all once it is on the fondant? I.E. would I be able to bend it w/o destroying the image or would I need to wrap it around the already formed fondant?

Oh, and has anyone ever made a zipper before?

icon_rolleyes.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 16

I would apply it to the already formed fondant.

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 16

do a search on making zippers....there was a great topic on making one I think.....you get a new zipper from the store and press it into the fondant creating a mold of some sort......now where is the sweet nice lady who always gives us links...icon_biggrin.gif

DeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousCreations Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm
post #16 of 16

Hello, The way bakeries charge for cakes is by the slice. I usually charge $4.00/slice for fondant. So depending on how many people it's for. But first you would have to decide how many slices are in each size cake. I use the Wilton books, they have diagrams on how to cut the cakes and how many slices come out of each size cake!
And the Edible image goes on last, but before you add the details. You just place it on top, it will melt into the fondant. Good Luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%