Imbc.....i Just Tried It For 1St Time.

Decorating By 2sdae Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 7:19pm by springlakecake

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 13

I just made this for the first time and it turned out well. I used my vanilla beans to flavor it.
I have to say after reading so much about it and hearing it's praises I am a bit disappointed in it.
It really just reminds me of a richer rich's better cream.
Or a more full bodied whip cream icing.
Not a big fav of mine.
I used the imbc shirley's method recipe off here.
This is so light and fluffy I can't see how you can decorate with it except simple shells or borders.
icon_confused.gif
Is the swiss meringue the same, what's the difference?
Thanks in advance for schooling me my fellow cc'ers!

12 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 13

As I have said in the past, it is an acquired taste. If you have grown up on the gritty, greasy powdered sugar and Crisco type buttercream you may not care for this because it is less sweet and a much lighter texture, doesn't leave a greasy film in your mouth. You can pipe borders, do writing or stringwork with this icing. I have seen flowers made with it but have not tried them myself.
SMBC is the same texture and taste, it is just cooked in a different way.

2sdae Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 13

I dont particularly care for the crisco bc I use the 1/2 butter 1/2 hi ratio shortening.
And that is still kinda sweet to me. I do see where you say the gritty ps. kind I too taste that. icon_confused.gif
But I am trying to find another alternative but it seems kinda hard.
That's why I was wondering about the swiss meringue, is it basically the same as far as taste and consistency?

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 13

I have heard of mixing the two (the IMBC and regular BC) but have never tried it.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 13

I tied Toba Garrett's Swiss MBC and was not immediately won over. Granted, I think I used way too much almond, but it was, in my opinion, much sweeter than regular buttercream. I really like Toba's buttercream - lots of butter, and quite rich. I did love the way the SMBC went on the cake - gorgeous to work with, but better not get any fingerprints cause there's no smoothing it! I want to try it again and see if I can get the flavor right.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 13

IMBC and SMBC are pretty similar. The texture is the same.. I like SMBC because it's easier to make.. I also don't use so much butter in mine. It has a nice light flavor and texture. Very soft when warm. I like Shirley's IMBC too because there's not so much butter in it. I personally don't care for the orange flavor in it, but that's a personal thing. I only use real vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (but that leaves flecks in the icing and not everyone wants that). Experiment with it.. add some flavors.. I don't care for almond extract.. but some do.

The recipe I use is this.. I experimented with butter amounts and find this to be great for me. I really like it.. and add some sweetened raspberry puree and it's to DIE for.. the chocolate version is wonderful too.

The Well Dressed Cake
Swiss Meringue Buttercream

24 oz unsalted butter at room temp
10 egg whites
16 oz granulated sugar
2 â 3 TBSP real vanilla extract

Place the egg whites and the sugar in a clean mixer bowl, and place it over a pot of simmering water, whisking occasionally until it registers 160 degrees.

Put it on the stand mixer and whip it with the whisk on medium high until it is reaches the stiff peak stage.

While the meringue is beating, cut up the butter into tbsp sized pieces.

When meringue is ready, switch to the paddle attachment, turn on low, and slowly add the butter.

Add vanilla.

Turn on medium high and let it rip until you have a lovely silky buttercream. You will hear a slapping sound when itâs ready.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 13

have you all noticed if kids are won over with this icing? I would like to try a different lighter kind of frosting, but dang butter is so expensive I would hate to switch to this and kids not like it? Do most of you do both kinds BC and IMBC or just one?

2sdae Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 13

If the child likes whipped cream he'll like this for sure.
I use land o lakes non salted butter in all my recipes so I can control the amount of salt in a recipe.
I could see using this as an alternative to regular high ratio/butter butter cream.
Just another selection for my customers, I just dont prefer the taste myself. But I can see where people would.

For you guys who use this IMBC do you do borders with this and flowers and other deco with fondant or gum paste?
I ask because it just doesn't seem like a very sturdy icing.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 13

I tried SMBC for the first time in the spring. I too, was not won over. I couldnt quite get over the butter texture. I liked the taste, but there was an aversion with the butteryness. (i know it's probably not a word) Anyway I tried again with a slightly different recipe (it was the one from Elisa strauss' confetti cakes cookbook) and now I see what everyone is raving about. there was slightly less butter and a little more sugar in it compared to the other I used. It tastes a lot like vanilla icecream to me. It is so yummy. I have a big bowl in the fridge now and I really want to try it now that I am talking about it!

2sdae Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 13

hey merissa...no tasting icon_wink.gif
can I get that recipe from you please?

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 13

I found this recipe online for Elisa's SMBC:

INGREDIENTS
2 3/4 plus 3 tablespoons (20 ounces) granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) egg whites or pasteurized egg whites in liquid form
2 1/2 cups (5 sticks; 20 ounces) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 1/2 ounces) pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In the bowl of a standing mixer, thoroughly whisk together sugar and egg whites.
2. Set the bowl over a pot of boiling water. Whisking constantly, heat the mixture until all of the crystals have dissolved and the mixture is hot. Get it as hot as you can but be careful not to cook the eggs.
3. Put the bowl back in the mixer fitted with a whip (whisk) attachment. Beat on high speed until the mixture forms a stiff meringue and the bottom of the bowl comes to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
4. Stop the mixer and replace the whip attachment with the paddle attachment.
5. Set the mixer to low speed and add the butter, a few cubes at a time. When the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer to medium speed and beat until fluffy.
6. Set the mixer to low speed and add the vanilla. Once the vanilla is incorporated, scrape the bowl and continue to mix on medium speed until you have a smooth, creamy texture. If the buttercream is too liquid, refrigerate until completely cold and stiff, then rewhip.
7. You can use the buttercream immediately, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days, or refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to ten days.

VARIATIONS
Add the ingredients for these variations after step 6 in the original recipe. Be sure that the buttercream is cool and stiff before adding any variations.

Chocolate: Add 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of melted semisweet (58%) chocolate in a steady stream while mixing on low speed. Be sure the chocolate is cool or it will melt the buttercream.
Praline: Add 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of praline paste in small additions on low speed. Once incorporated, turn your mixer to high speed for one minute.
Mocha: Add 1/4 cup (2 ounces) of cold strong coffee and 1/4 cup melted and cooled semisweet (58%) chocolate (2 ounces), each in a steady dtream while mixing on low speed.
Raspberry: Add 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of seedless raspberry puree.
Cream cheese: Add 1 cup (8 ounces) softened cream cheese.

NOTES
Before you begin this recipe, clean all utensils and equipment thoroughly with a paper towel moistened with lemon juice. This eliminates any grease or oil that may prevent the meringue from whipping to its proper volum and conmsistency.

After you refrigerate the buttercream, you need to reconstitute it before you can use it. Heat 1/3 of your buttercream in the microwave until it is warm to the touch. Place the reamining 2/3 in the bowl of a mixer and beat on medium speed. Add the warmed buttercream and beat until it is creamy.

Sounds pretty yummy to me. I think I'll try it tonight!

springlakecake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 13

Yes, that is the one. i didnt want to type it out! I found the recipe online as well here

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=3369

I believe everything is the same.

springlakecake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 13

oh and BTW, I did not use as much vanilla, it just seemed like an awful lot to me. I probably used half as much or less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%