Box

Decorating By Relznik Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 1:27pm by Relznik

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:42am
post #1 of 10

Hi

This is my first time using the forums (I usually just browse the cake pictures) so I hope I've put this in the right place.

I'm doing the following cake for Saturday, but I've no idea how to go about doing to box on top.... I need it to look like the bride and groom are bursting through the top.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/Relznik/Hayleyweddingcake.jpg

Any ideas would be very gratefully received.

thank you.

Suzanne x

9 replies
sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:58am
post #2 of 10

Maybe you could make the box sides out of gumpaste or a fondant and let dry then assemble them with some royal. As for the top I would make another gumpaste/fondant square that had the same width as my sides and score it in the center by cuting and X shape in the middle and rolling the points of the X back over crumpled wax paper til it dried. When time to assemble, Assemble your sides with royal. When sides are dry assemble the top piece carefully with royal and add the bride and groom to the inside. Just a thought. I haven't ever tried something like this yet but seems like it would work. icon_smile.gif Good luck
Sincerely
Lynne

DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:00am
post #3 of 10

I would make the box in pieces, (Use fondant or gumpaste) including the top, and let them dry completely. If you are adding decorations to the sides of the box, do it while it is laying flat. Assemble it with thick royal icing. (Put the top together after you have the bride & groom placed inside of the box). Hope this helps. Post photos when you have it done. Want to see!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:22am
post #4 of 10

or the box could be a square cake.
sides fondant that extends beyond the top to look torn
top covered in a square of fondant

and the fondant figures only go to the waist.

Relznik Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:38am
post #5 of 10

Thank you for your replies.

I've done the box using modelling paste (I think that's what you call gum paste?) and have royal iced the panels together.

However, I'm not sure how happy I am with it. I can be a bit of a perfectionist, which is all well and good when you have the skills to match, but...... icon_razz.gif

I really like the idea of making a small cake and doing the top half of the models. Thank you.

I promise to upload a picture on Saturday, when it's finished.

Suzanne x

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:43am
post #6 of 10

I can't wait to see this one-it's a really cute cake! Do you know who did the original?

Relznik Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 10

Unfortunately, I don't know. The bride just e-mailed me this picture.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 10

I also think a small square cake covered in fondant would be a nice way to go. I would do the half figures as well. Good luck with it can't wait to see the pic.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 10

one more thought.

to make less obvious that the figures only go to the waist ...

add chocolate shavings to look like packing peanuts!

Relznik Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 10

thumbs_up.gif Thank you Doug. Great idea. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%