Decorating By THESUGARCOW Updated 10 Sep 2006 , 3:03am by THESUGARCOW

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 16

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
well.I hate myself sometimes.... icon_confused.gif
now i really need luster dust for a precious moments bride cake
and ....dont have the luster dust... icon_redface.gif
well it is too late to order some ...michaels dont have it...the other crafts store dont have it also...
this mornig i was putting my make up eye shadows...and....
can i used it????????? a little???? icon_eek.gif
if you can put it in your eyes and even lipstick....i think if you eat some it wont kill you right?
i need just a litlle of shine stuff i dont know where yet but i will say in the head and the borders of the dress ... icon_confused.gif
can i use make up?
i know u could use some non toxic chalk?
make up i dont think it is toxic? it is????? icon_confused.gif
many colors.....nice ones..cheaper.... icon_confused.gif
am i getting crazy today?

15 replies
chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 16

Um, I wouldn't use anything that isn't food-grade quality.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 3:50am
post #3 of 16

I have been in classes with several (well-known) professionals who have suggested using cosmetics in place of dusts. The cosmetics are non-toxic, as are the dusts and chalks. As you've stated, people actually consume these cosmetics from their own (and other's) lips, cheeks, etc. on a daily basis.

The minute quanities used in the case you are describing wouldn't hurt a fly.

Here's the definition of "nontoxic":

nontoxic
adj 1: not producing or resulting from poison [syn: atoxic] [ant: toxic] 2: safe to eat [syn: nonpoisonous]

Go for it!
Rae

chocomama Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 3:55am
post #4 of 16

If I ordered a cake and later found out that part of it had been dusted, covered, or whatever in makeup or anything that isn't supposed to be eaten, I'd be really ticked off. JMO.

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 3:56am
post #5 of 16

If you don't mind me asking...... what exactly is luster duster? and where do you get it? i never heard of it until I was browsing the gallery. Is that different than powder shimmer?

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 4:39am
post #6 of 16

Shimmer dust (by Wilton) is ground up cake sparkles (gum arabic). It needs to be sprinkled on a damp icing surface in order for it to stick to the cake.

Luster dust and petal dust are fine powders that are non-toxic but they're not food products, per se--no nutritional value and don't contain ingredients that come from food groups. They can be used dry or mixed with lemon extract or clear alcohols like vodka, gin, or Everclear to create a paint.

Rae

luv2giggls Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 4:43am
post #7 of 16

Thank you Rae! I can see you love these forums.. I see your name on quite a few. =) I find this site very addictive. I love it!!!

Where do you buy your luster duster or petal dust?

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 4:47am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Shimmer dust (by Wilton) is ground up cake sparkles (gum arabic). It needs to be sprinkled on a damp icing surface in order for it to stick to the cake.

Luster dust and petal dust are fine powders that are non-toxic but they're not food products, per se--no nutritional value and don't contain ingredients that come from food groups. They can be used dry or mixed with lemon extract or clear alcohols like vodka, gin, or Everclear to create a paint.

Rae

Soooo, since luster dust isn't food grade either and you only need a little bit on the part that probably won't get eaten anyway, then I say do it... thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 4:57am
post #9 of 16

Welcome, giggls!

I originally bought my dusts from local cake shops, but I've since found that the prices were about double what can be found online. I've found some good buys on Ebay, too. At the moment, I think anything under $3 for a 2gram pot is a pretty good buy. It goes such a long way, I haven't had to buy any for quite some time, so I'm not a great reference for current online purchases.

If you go to froogle.com and search luster dust, lots of sites come up. Check out the Ebay stores, too. Jesters Party supply sells them for $2.49 with $4.05 Priority shipping for any number of pots you buy. I haven't used them, but if I needed some, I probably would--good price & feedback.

Have fun!
Rae

luv2giggls Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 5:01am
post #10 of 16

Thanks so much for all your help. I will have to look that up. You can never have enough cake supplies.... (although my husband begs to differ) but of course i always win =)

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 9:00am
post #11 of 16

You can also use non-toxic artists chalk. Simply grate it using a small strainer. I saw some metallic chalks in the scrapbooking section at Michaels. I have yet to use them, but they had some great colors. I have used the artists chalks, they work just like petal dust.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 16

if you do decide to use the make-up, I hope you use something that is new and hasn't been used AS make-up.

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

if you do decide to use the make-up, I hope you use something that is new and hasn't been used AS make-up.

Good point! Used make-up... what a thought.

If you are baking for yourself, your cake is 100% your business. If you are baking for others for pay, you have an obligation to make sure the cake is completely food-safe. Are you comfortable with telling the client that you put make-up on the cake?

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. Be careful of metallics that are not meant for food.

chocomama Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:25am
post #14 of 16

If you are baking for yourself, your cake is 100% your business. If you are baking for others for pay, you have an obligation to make sure the cake is completely food-safe. Are you comfortable with telling the client that you put make-up on the cake?

Exactly my thoughts.[/list]

chocomama Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:26am
post #15 of 16

Exactly my thoughts.

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:03am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I have been in classes with several (well-known) professionals who have suggested using cosmetics in place of dusts. The cosmetics are non-toxic, as are the dusts and chalks. As you've stated, people actually consume these cosmetics from their own (and other's) lips, cheeks, etc. on a daily basis.

The minute quanities used in the case you are describing wouldn't hurt a fly.

Here's the definition of "nontoxic":

nontoxic
adj 1: not producing or resulting from poison [syn: atoxic] [ant: toxic] 2: safe to eat [syn: nonpoisonous]

Go for it!
Rae

Hey ..thanks!
that is all i wanted to know..anyway...
but i found a store .nearby me that sell cake stuff they have a lot off different luster .pearl dust petals dust etc....so i got my lusterssss..
thanks i think too ..if u could use chalk why not make up.i was looking at the luster and it is not too much different than make up.....plus it is for the fondant and very little parts....i dont have to use make up now..but...i dont think too many people eats the fondant anyway..
and of course i would use a brand new make up.....
icon_eek.gif
but i dont think it will kill me if somebody tells me they use make up in my cake???????
they use many things now for everything...chalk in flowers???????
why not make up??????? now that after researching too i know make up it is not toxic at all.and the luster dust.. container.comes telling you that it is not considered to be eaten but that it is safe too put in edible stuff......so what it is the difference...??? same thing i think.... icon_confused.gif [/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%