Upside Down Cake

Decorating By Wjk Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 1:30am by Wjk

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 6

I really want to make an upside down cake for my ds bday. I have 5 months to figure out engineering on it. I figure it will be a 3 tier 8in, 10in and a 12in dummy.

Dh and I have been talking about this since last nights extreme cake challange episode. I want it to appear that they are stacked with no spaces in between. We have some ideas, but not sure if they would work.

Anyone have any ideas? or any idea where I can find information on how to do this?

TIA!

5 replies
nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 6

I bet Doug would know! Doug, are you out there? Can you help her???

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:16am
post #3 of 6

the just did this on the extreme cake challenge and once long ago on another cake challenge.

actually it's not "all" that hard...

just turn the whole concept upside down.

the trick --- balance!

it's doweled just like any stacked tier cake is except tiers get bigger as it goes up.

VERY important is that central dowel -- which is best done also from the bottom up --

as in

start w/ a 3/4 in plywood base that is bigger around than the largest tier is going to be -- for safety I'd make it at least 4" wider (so if largest tier is 12" then the base would be 16")

then in the center of it -- but a very strong and oversize dowel that is securely glued and screwed into the base -- I'd even go so far as to drill a socket for the dowel to fit into then screw up through the bottom of the base into the dowel (duff does this lots of times)

the dowel away.

HOWEVER ----

for an even sturdier method.

use copper tubing or PVC pipe for the central dowel ---

as then --

can get flanges that you can attach to the tubing/pipe to which you can screw wood or plastic (predrill!!!) cake plates --- you'd place the flanges so that when assembled there would be a very minimal gap between tiers that could be hidden with a border. you would still dowel as well for stability and balance issues.

if you've seen the wilton tall tier stand -- think of it being assembled in reverse order w/ the smallest cake plate on the bottom and the largest on the tap, with no gaps between tiers.

Wjk Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:47am
post #4 of 6

Thanks Doug! That is along the lines dh and I were thinking. thumbs_up.gif

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:51am
post #5 of 6

anyone have pictures of one???

Wjk Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:30am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%