Enough Cake Or Too Much?

Decorating By barbaranoel Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 8:56pm by anorris3

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cake order for this weekend. The expected number of guests is 100-150. This is the amount of cake she ordered and I think they might have a little left over, but not too much:

6 - 8" single layer heart cakes (I figured 10 people per cake)
1- 12" double layer cake (30-40 people served)
1 - 10" double layer (these two are seperated by pillars) (20-30 people)
1 - doll cake on top (8-10 people if necessary to be used)

The heart cakes will be different flavors (orange, red velvet, etc...) with the main cake being white and chocolate

They are having dinner at 6 and no cake until @ 8 and they are also having a chocolate fountain.

What do you think?

Thanks for any input you may have,
Barb

4 replies
dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not good with the whole this how many a cake can feed. Here's a bump. icon_redface.gif I'll eat any leftovers. thumbs_up.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 5

Are they wanting to keep the top part for a first anniversary cake? Other than that I think you have enough cake here.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 5

Dinner? Chocolate Fountain? PLUS Cake? Then you should be using the Wilton Wedding Cake chart. That's a lot of cake. When I do buffet receptions, with chocolate fountains and cake, I can usually advise the bride to reduce the amount of cake ordered and we still have leftovers.

My calculations:

12" round: Serves 56
10" round: Serves 38
8" heart (single layer): The chart shows a 2-layer serves 22, so we'll stick with your 10 per cake. Times 6 = 60
Doll cake: Not sure but I had one of these yesterday for dinner guests. We served 10 people and had over half of it leftover.

56 + 38 + 60 + 20 (doll cake) = 174 servings

You're having 8 different flavored cakes? That means you are going to have to cut every single cake so if she has any leftover cake, it's going to be leftover, partially cut cakes, which are difficult to store and wont' keep as long as an un-cut cake. She also runs the risk of ticking off some of her guests. The 11th person who wants red velvet is going to be SOL; the 11th person who wants orange is also SOL.

(My daughter enlightened me on this when she was a guest at a wedding with multiple flavors in the cake. She saw the flavor she wanted but by the time she got to the cake table, that flavor was gone and she was P.O'd.)

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 5

What great advice indydebi about one cake flavor. I so wish someone would have enlightened me for my wedding. It would have been much less to figure out and easier on our cake lady. I definitely agree 8 flavors is waaaaay to much. It sounds great to have options but in reality it is a really bad idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%