Which Cake Pans Are Best To Use

Decorating By KellyKrocker Updated 8 Sep 2006 , 12:40am by prettycake

KellyKrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKrocker Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:17am
post #1 of 10

Hey Ya'll,
SInce I'm just getting started...what are the best cake pans to buy? Right now I just have Wilton pans. Are Magic Line or some others better or does it make a difference.
And how deep of a pan do you reccomend for rounds and squares?

Thanx!

9 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:24am
post #2 of 10

I just bought my first magic line pans the other day and I was impressed. They are heavy and shiny, seemed to bake evenly. I have such an assortment. Wilton, dollar store specials, old ones that belonged to my MIL (I really like those). I've found some nice pans at Garden Ridge and some of the dollar stores. Shiny does bake best. If you use darker pans, it's best to turn the temp down a bit (they get done on the outside edges quicker).

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:29am
post #3 of 10

I like Wilton and Magic Line pans. I prefer the 2" pan to the three as the 3 inch take soooooo long to cook the batter even with the heat core in them.

Love the baking strips; they work great keeping the batter level in the pan!

I've had some Wilton pans for over 10 years and same with the magic line. I'd compare pricing and buy what sizes you'll use most frequently.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:08am
post #4 of 10

Magic Line (90 degree corners) - I love the Wilton strips also!

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 10

Magic line...a little expensive but well worth the money. There is such a big difference in the way they bake up.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 10

What ever you buy, buy the same kind of pan in the same sizes. Like if you are buying two 8 inch rounds then buy both the same brand, so the two layers bake up the same.

For squares and sheets i recomend the magic line for the nice square corners. My wilton pans have rounded corners.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 10

Magic Line is the way to go. At least get them in the sizes you will bake the most, like 8" rounds.

I once did a cake in one pan of each, Wilton and ML - the ML one baked up much more evenly. You really could tell the difference.

I like baking strips too, but make my own for now so I can't tell you much about the Wilton ones.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

KellyKrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKrocker Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:27am
post #8 of 10

Thanx so much for your input. The majority say Magic line, so that is the direction I will go inicon_smile.gif

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:39am
post #9 of 10

Talk about pans - I've got wilton pans and use the baking strips. The cakes bake leveled, but the sides always taper. Is there a trick to this? besides, trimming, which causes too many crumbs.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:40am
post #10 of 10

I love Magic Line, they do not turn white after you wash them in the dish washer. And they are somewhat heavy which I like. Very durable. Does not bend easily. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%