Support For Tiered Cakes...earlenes Vs. Dowels

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 9:03pm by Chef_Stef

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 34

I saw the support system on Earlene's website and WOW is all I can say! Does anyone have those and do they work as incredibly as they appear to? Also, I have unfortunately icon_sad.gif read so many disaster posts that used wooden dowels so I am wondering what the best overall support method use?

You can't really use the hidden pillars with all different stacked cakes since you would need a certain shape/size plate to match, right?

I am a little lost icon_redface.gif Are the hidden pillars the next best thing? thx

33 replies
3tiers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3tiers Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 34

I have used wooden dowels until about 6 months ago when I purchased the Stress-Free support system featured on Earlene's website. I love it! It is much quicker to use and I just don't worry about my cakes. I now deliver all of my stacked cakes fully assembled - which is great! I also like that the support system leaves just enough space between the tiers so frosting does not stick to the bottom of the cake board. They are pricy, but I think they are worth every penny. My piece of mind is worth a lot!

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 34

How much are they? (Not that I'll be doing any tiered cakes in the near future!) What is her website?

CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 34

Oy! They are like $150 or close to it. How many sets do you have? Also, did you only buy one height of "pillars" or more than one? And doesn't that mean that all your cakes have to be within a certain height range to sue them?

Sorry if I sound like a nut icon_smile.gif

3tiers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3tiers Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 34

I bought the Professional set and I got legs in 3 different lengths. I am considering ordering another set so when I have more than one stacked cake to do, I don't have to resort to dowels. They are kind of addictive that way!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 34

If you didn't want to spend that kind of $$ immediately, Wilton's plastic dowels ROCK!! icon_smile.gif

They're really, really strong. And wide. And EASY to cut with your kitchen knife!

Just my 2 cents.

HTH,
--Knox--

CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 34

They are better than the wood ones? I really like the stress free system but the pro set is $220 and there is no way in the world I could afford that so I guess I will have to try and find the hidden pillars....

speaking of which, where do they sell them because they don't sell them at Michaels.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 34

They sell the wide white ones from wilton here on CC....

knoxcop1 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 34

I've never used the hidden pillars, but the Wilton's are about as big around as your thumb, hollow and made of white, smooth plastic.

When you sink them into your cake, the cake just fills up in the tube part. So there's no cake "displacement."

I used them for the advanced classes, and then brought it home, fully assembled. I could actually POUND on the top of the cake REALLY HARD--and it didn't BUDGE!

I would suggest using a sharpened wooden dowel in the center of your cakes WITH the Wilton's, though. This would provide a pretty darned good method of support!

--Knox--

CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 34

Aren't what you are describing the hidden pillars? They sound just like what one of the other threads called them ( because they sucked the cake out!! LOL!!! )

I was dying laughing! That's when you know you make good cake!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 34

I have the Professional Set from Arlene Haas--it is the same set that is on Earlene's website.

I have only good things to say about them. I had a cake box slip and put the cake on a lean of about 15 degrees. Of course, it was dowelled once through the center but nothing shifted and the frosting was all intact. Had I only used the cut dowels on each tier, the cake would have shifted and squished on one side.

When I bought my set, it was $179.00/ Now it is $220.00 but it is well worth it. Just one near disaster and you will be thankful for it.

Oh and I delivered a cake 3 hours away--stacked with the stress-free support system and one center dowel, drove at speed limit (60-75 mph). Cake arrived in perfect condition--nothing needed to be repaired and no shifting.

knoxcop1 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 34

Sorry, I'm back! Got a call...

If they're called "hidden pillars" I didn't know it. They probably are! icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

They work really well though. And with the center dowel through the boards, well--it's gonna have to be pretty bad to wreck that cake!

--Knox--

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 12:40am
post #13 of 34

the ones you usually get in Course 3 for Wilton aren't hidden- they're push pillars, but the work the same way as the hidden ones. I just bought the stress free system this summer at the ICES convention (got the convention discount icon_lol.gif ) I absolutely love them and will never go back to dowelling!!! icon_mad.gif

bayougrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bayougrl Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 12:56am
post #14 of 34

Can someone please post the website? Thanks!

sugarnut Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:19am
post #15 of 34

here is the link off of Earlene's site for the info:

http://earlenescakes.com/newringsupportset.htm They also sell white acrylic boards that are like masonite, only stronger to go under each layer. You can get them as a set or seperately.

here is the order form page

http://earlenescakes.com/stressfreeordfrm.htm

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 34

I'm thinking about buying the stress free system a couple of pieces at a time. I know it costs less as a set but you wouldn't use the entire set very often. I bet the 8, 10, 12 inch sizes with a couple sets of legs would help with a lot of cakes.

Any other users of the stress free system? I would love to have your advice.

thanks.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 34

Those wilton plastic dowels sound great! I really hate cutting up wooden dowels!!! I haven't had the best luck with them either.

Does anyon know where to find the plastic dowels on CC? I looked but couldn't find them. Thanks!

Courtney

karent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karent Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:55pm
post #18 of 34

I've used all three and the stress free system is the only way to go...

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:57pm
post #19 of 34

So you spend all that money...you got to have a rental fee, right? And a refundable deposit on return within so many days?

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 11:18pm
post #20 of 34

Definitely--

I now charge a $200.00 deposit when I use the stress--free.

sugarnut Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 2:09am
post #21 of 34

I charge a $100 deposit, but no rental fee. That's just part of the cake.

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:21pm
post #22 of 34

Ok, so I found this... I think it is the Wilton tiered stand with crystal legs that are @ 7" so if you use them, the cakes would be above leaving room for flowers and stuff..... here is the pic:

The total cost of this set-up would be @$50 (including s/h) Is that a good deal? Also, what about when I do cakes stacked rather than tiered.... can I use these plates with the hidden dowels? As you can tell, I am trying to get a universal system that will service several different types of cake... or maybe by an extra set of the pillars in a 5" length and that would just slightly elevate the cake but they would look stacked and then the icing below wouldn't stick.

Thanks for all your tinput... I want the stressfree soooo bad but there is no way I can spend $220 - I might have been able to justify charging it and making payments since it is an investment but she doesn't accept cc's so no luck!

sugarnut Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 5:48pm
post #23 of 34

CakeDiva73,

these work well, I have them as well. They work like regular pillars though, and you cant use them for stacked construction, although I often use the plates since they are rounded instead of scalloped.

for the stacked construcion you would still have to go with the dowells, either plastic or wood.

do you by any chance have a credit card that gives you checks? We have a couple that do that, then you can give a check and still use your credit card to make payments. Just a thought. I know at convention this summer they took cards, because that's what I used. ??? Maybe that was a special deal for ICES. I know I also got a special on the set because of the convention, too.

Good luck!

karent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karent Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 5:51pm
post #24 of 34

I charge a $200 deposit for the stree-free supports and I have never had anyone have a problem with the deposit. Also, I have always had all items returned.

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 5:53pm
post #25 of 34

I could probably get a check but it comes with a stiff 'fee' so I would be remiss to do so.... I really want the stress free set. I like the Wilton one but I just the love the concept of the SF.... just push them in, works on all size cakes, etc.... and the peace of mind. I am afraid to even think about wooden dowels after reading so many horror stories icon_cry.gif thanks for the ideas ;0

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 5:57pm
post #26 of 34

Love, love, love my stress free! I can't stand doing a cake without them!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 6:04pm
post #27 of 34

My sister had her hubby make her a set of the stress free supports and she loves them! I intend to have some someday but doubt I will buy by the set. You can get all size legs so there should be no end to what you can do with them. The legs are white acrylic too so if the show it shouldn't be too bad, since you could decorate around them if you choose or maybe just let them show. I used them for a wedding cake once and couldn't believe how easy and strong it was. I really like using the round tubular Wilton columns over dowels. Easy to cut and wide enough to offer very good support. I've never transported a cake already stacked but wouldn't feel too bad about moving two stacked cakes with those columns. And yes, you can push the cake right out of them if you wish...LOL

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 7:15pm
post #28 of 34

I just had a cake disaster with wooden dowels so this idea is intriguing to me.

I don't understand how it works, though. I just checked out the link on Earlene's website but got very confused.

How do you adjust these things? You couldn't adjust them once the cake is on top of them? How do you know what size legs to order?

Sorry if I'm being dopey, I'm so confused..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Melscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melscakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:30am
post #29 of 34

I want to do my first "present/package" cake on Friday, for my dads surprise party. Im nervous, and Ive read Earlene's instructions and I feel like such a dummy icon_sad.gif . Ive tried 2 stacked cakes before one was a whimsical cake, and one was for my sisters wedding, and they kind of fell apart icon_cry.gif (altho everyone still talks about how good they tasted..lol)

I dont want a disaster to happen with this cake.. I want to do 2 square cakes an 11x15 with a 9 x13 on top. Im confused as to what to put with the dowels. Ive only used the wooden ones in the past, but now Im going to buy the hidden dowels! (cant afford Earlene's kit right now)

what do you all usually use in between the layers for a Square stacked cake? Card board rounds? I see earlene uses those Rings... maybe I need some rest, but I feel so lost right now!! icon_cry.gif

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:50am
post #30 of 34

I've had the stress free support system since my first stacked cake and would use nothing else!!! I didn't trust dowels then and I still don't. I LOVE IT!! Simple to use and simple to show to customers. It really gives me peace of mind. It's easy to level, easy to insert into a cake...easy to remove...easy to clean....easy to store....STRONG cuz my cakes are heavy!! I cannot say enough good things about it and I always have my customers give me an equipment deposit for it...I won't cash that check unless you don't bring me back my stuff!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%