I Made A Mistake...an Apology Wasn't Enough!! (Longlongvent)

Decorating By monnitas0808 Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 6:41pm by bfisher11

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:07pm
post #31 of 42

Forget how rude the daughter was to you. Please make this 70 year old lady another cake. I know it will truly brighten her day and simply refunding the money is not enough. She deserved that because she didn't get the cake. We all make mistakes so don't stress over it. Just make her a cake for free and move on.

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:55pm
post #32 of 42

Lauras, is it ur calling I saw your cakes and they are beautiful!!!!! don't give up...I'm not!!....Brandi I love your advice....I do believe they deserve a polite phone call from me for a cake she deserves. Thank you I will do that and I will keep you guys posted!!! Remember Laura chin up!! thumbs_up.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:24pm
post #33 of 42

this happened to me many many years ago in my first year in business. A lady ordered a birthday cake for her child, it was Sat, she comes into the shop to pick the cake up.... what cake? Her party was to start at 2 and it was 1 o'clock already. Oh my god!!! I did everything I could to make peace, even offering to bake decorate and deliver as soon as I could, which would put the cake at the party 30 to 40 minutes late. Nothing worked. This woman was so mad that I thought she would have a stroke. She worked at a local bank and I am sure she bad mouthed me to no end. I even sent her a gift certificate for 50 dollars in merchandise, she never used it. Sometimes nothing, absolutely nothing can change how a person feels. It was at least a year before I got any more orders from that bank. Needless to say that has never happened again. I was so mortified and sorry, that I cried the rest of the day. We live... and learn.

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:13pm
post #34 of 42

It happens, you are only human. If I were you, I would do the cake for free - and kick ass with it. It's so hard to swallow your pride when someone treats you like crap, but unfortunately, when you are depending on other people to pay your bills, you have little choice sometimes. It stinks, but you have to kiss ass.

As for keeping track of orders, I don't even use a computer program. I love technology and all, but unless I am in complete control of it, I don't trust it. I keep email records and all of my order forms are immediately filled out and put on my fridge. I can see a hard copy - too hard to miss. I also set week-ahead reminders in my cell phone just in case the visual reminder isn't enough.

Don't beat yourself up. (((Hugs))) What are you gonna do? S*it happens...

monnitas0808 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:22pm
post #35 of 42

Don't beat yourself up. (((Hugs))) What are you gonna do? S*it happens...

Quote:
Quote:

LOVE THAT!!!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:37pm
post #36 of 42

A good friend of mine told me once when I failed an important exam, "if this is the worst thing that happened to you today, consider yourself lucky". I live by that saying all the time now. There are so many far worst things that can afflict you. Chin up, it'll work out.

JENNSCAKES90909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JENNSCAKES90909 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:26am
post #37 of 42

Did you know that Desserts is Stressed spelled backwards. So have some dessert and let the stress disappear. Glad to see you are feeling better. Have a great day.

monnitas0808 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:25am
post #38 of 42

icon_biggrin.gif OMG!!!! I DID NOT KNOW THAT ONE...HOW FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!! Desserts=stressed.......wow!! Nice one! Thank you all!!!!

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:50am
post #39 of 42

Monnitas0808 - I am sad you cried. I am sad that lady made you cry. There is nothing worse than someone yelling at you - you feel so vulnerable. Are you the only cake supplier where your "kitchen" is located?? If that happened to me, Yes I would be disappointed you made an error in the date, but there must be many cake stores in your area, that I would have just gone and bought a cake from there. Wouldn't be decorated - but you get Cake, right??
You apoligised, you give them a credit, they made you cry - what more does this evil cow want???
Chin up and cast her out of your mind. I'm sure you won't make that mistake again. Will you?? x

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:44am
post #40 of 42

I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune but I agree. You have suffered enough and quite frankly they sound very rude. No one person can make you business fail and if they don't mistakes let them get it right!
Hope you feel better.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:56pm
post #41 of 42

wow, I'm sorry that lady's daughter treated you like that. I wonder if she's perfect icon_rolleyes.gif

I've come close to making that mistake before. Right before I started putting all my cake orders in a daily planner, someone I work with had ordered a cake to be delivered on Friday. I went in on Thursday to bring in a bday cake to someone else that works there (I give everyone a bday cake there) and she asked, "oh, how's my cake coming along?" I was like"....oh no! I forgot!!" She told me not to worry about it and that she could whip something up at home from a mix or something. I wasn't sure if she was mad or not but I insisted I could put it together but she still said no. Well, I went home and started right on the cake. Then I called her and told her I'd started it so she couldn't tell me not to bother icon_wink.gif Anyway, the cake turned out fine and she loved it (Marilyn Monroe cake in my gallery).

I can't imagine if I'd have forgotten a regular customer's cake though. I'd be mortified. I don't think that you could have handled the situation any better, given that it's the first time anything like that has ever happened to you. You were probably taken completely off-guard!

bfisher11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfisher11 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 6:41pm
post #42 of 42

monnitas0808
Well I have to say that sometimes things like this happen, only to the best of us. Most people understand! But you also have to realize that some people are out to get something for nothing. Thoughs are usually the ones that throw big hairy fits and name call. They feel like the bigger fit they throw the better their chance of getting something FREE. It was probably their plan from the beginning, come in many times to make sure that you remember them give you a date and come in on a different date wanting their cake. Sorry everyone I have been burnt like this before and that is what it sounds like to me! So just let it roll off your shoulders, and find that you only become a stronger person for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%