What Does The Cooling Time In Pan Do For The Cake?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 3:03am by tmassey5

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 12

Just wondering...what does the actual cooling time (10-15 minutes) in the pan before flipping it out of the pan actually do for the cake?? I mean I always follow the 'rule' but I just wondered what it was for! I assumed maybe to keep the cake from sticking, but that was just a guess.

11 replies
springlakecake Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 12

nobody knows?? icon_eek.gif

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 12

I believe the cake is more likely to fall apart when it's warmer...

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 12

My guess would be...maybe the cake needs to cool down a bit before you take it out of the pan because I think when it is too hot it tends to fall apart easier? icon_confused.gif That would be my guess, but I really don't know? So I may sound really stupid, but just a guess! icon_redface.gif

MaryD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryD Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 12

My guess is so that it will set and not break apart.

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 12

Thats exactly it, so that your cake doesn't fall apart when attempting to slide it out of the pan. Cooling lets the texture settle so that it doesn't crumble apart on you. ( I learned this the hard way! )

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 12

The only reason I can come up with is that it lets the cake settle because if removed too soon the cake may crack if too hot. icon_confused.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 12

I would guess that two things happen. 1) the cake contracts slightly 2)the cake firms up a bit as it cools.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 12

I read in one of my books (or maybe it was my WMI manual) that it helps the cake to firm up a bit and actually pull away from the side of the pan. If you leave it in too long the grease begins to firm up between the pan and the cake and causes it to re-stick! I did not know that!

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 12

Trust me--cooling time is imperative. It gives the cake time to settle--and it firms up a little. I was in a hurry one time and ended up with two halves of a very, very hot--and large cake.

J

springlakecake Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks all! That was my other guess. I have flipped some out probably a little too early and a little hunk would get pulled off. So maybe it broke rather than actually sticking to the pan.

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:03am
post #12 of 12

Not really an answer to your question, but I let my cakes cool completely in the pan covered in foil immediately from oven. they never stick and it keeps all the moisture in the cake! People go on and on about the moistness of my cakes, so i will stick with this method.
My only exception is when I need the pan for another layer! I try not to run into this problem by baking different layer sizes.
i would agree with everyone about the cake splitting when it is too warm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%