First Wedding Cake

Decorating By mjsparkles2001 Updated 9 Sep 2006 , 1:59am by TheKookieWench

mjsparkles2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsparkles2001 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 39

Well ... here it is .... my first wedding cake .... let me know what you think and what could be done better. I wish I had time to go to classes so I wasn't making this up as I go along. Thanks for all your help everyone.

MJ
LL

38 replies
monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 39

Looks fabulous

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 39

Looks great!! I think you did a wonderful first wedding cake.

queenamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenamy Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 39

beautiful!! very well done!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 39

I think it is beautiful! That is awesome for a 1st.

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 39

I think you did a great job!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I can't believe this is your first wedding cake thumbs_up.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 39

Absolutely beautiful; no one would ever imagine that this was your first wedding cake.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 39

I think you did a really fabulous job and would never have believed it was your first wedding cake! I know what you mean about not being able to take classes...I am flying by the seat of my pants too and I hope that the wedding cake I am doing in October comes out half as nice!

Amber

HaileysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaileysMom Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 39

Wow! How gorgeous! I bet the bride was truly delighted. Doesn't look like you really need to take the classes anyways. Good job! Congrats on having one under your belt! Oh, and how long did it take you? Was it super nervewracking?

Steph

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 39

You did a great job! I can't believe you are self-taught!

Since you asked for ideas-I can't tell if it's the camera angle so you tell me-did you have a little bulging on the 2nd tier? If you did we can give you some tips to help with that on your next beautiful creation! That's an easy one! I love the different decos for each tier!

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 39

Great Job!

You should be very proud of yourself! thumbs_up.gif

usaribbon.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 39

Great job! That's a beautiful cake.

mjsparkles2001 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 39

The bride was happy with the cake ... she is my sister in law now icon_smile.gif

There was bulging on the second layer .... how can I fix that??

It didn't take a ton of time to make but I was a little nervous about the stacking part. I don't feel "safe" using pillars. All three of my kids were in the wedding so we had to be at the rehearsal dinner on Friday night (didn't get home till 11pm ... had an hour drive home) then I worked all day Saturday and the wedding was Sunday. I also did all the flowers for the wedding AND my husband worked a 12 hour shift on Saturday so I had the kids home with me (4 year old twins and a 3 year old). I'm just happy I got it to the banquet hall in one piece!!

Thanks for all the comments!!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 39

congratulations !! its a lovely cake

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 39

Great job!!!!
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:26pm
post #16 of 39

Beautiful cake. Great job.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 39

First, you did a beautiful job. Anytime I've had bulging it's usually because I haven't used a large enough "dam" around the edge prior to putting in the filling. If you only used icing, bulging can come if your icing is a little too thin. Don't fret about it...it's lovely...slight bulge and all!!

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:37pm
post #18 of 39

What a gorgeous cake! I would never have thought that was your first! I love the top and third layers - those are my favorites. Just more my style I guess. But, altogether, it's just beautiful! Congrats!

You asked about the bulging - not sure if this is right or not, but I think maybe you need to make your "well" for the filling deeper, because it almost looks like the filling is coming out. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but that's my opinion. Of course, I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time, and certainly won't be the last! LOL

Great job!

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:45pm
post #19 of 39

Cor Blimey, how you got all that done over the weekend, with children to look after and flowers to do too ...... I don't know!
Fabulous cake .... I always panic about the stacking part too .... would love to take a lesson just on that! ...and levelling cakes, and buttercream, and royal icing, and flowers, and ... , and ...., and ....!!!!!
You did a fantastic job - hats off to you!

mjsparkles2001 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:22pm
post #20 of 39

Thanks for the tips on the bulging ... I didn't do a well (opps) I just try to leave a space away from the sides so it doesn't squish out. So know I know what to do.

Thanks for all the comments .... makes me want to make more cakes. Maybe I'll have someone pay for one of my cakes one of these days. icon_smile.gif

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:33pm
post #21 of 39

Greaty Job!!! Love the cake!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

Keep on baking!!!

Cindy

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:50pm
post #22 of 39

It looks beautiful!! NO CLASSES? Wow... icon_eek.gif

ablksapphire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ablksapphire Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:59pm
post #23 of 39

excellent job on the cake!! hope my first wedding cake turns out that well, and oh yes the next one get some $$$ icon_smile.gif

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 9:07pm
post #24 of 39

I think you did a great job on this cake. You have to be very proud of it. I am looking forward to making a wedding cake one day when I have some more experience.

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:18pm
post #25 of 39

First of all, your cake looks great!! thumbs_up.gif You must be like a "supermom" doing all of that with 3 small kids. I only have the 2, a 5 yr. old and a 9 month old, and I love them with all of my heart, but it's a little difficult to decorate cakes with a not so steady 9 month old trying to stand up and hold onto your legs and a 5 yr. old wanting to play "simon says"!!! My hat goes off to you!!!

Anyways, I have a question. . . how did you like using the globe pillars? Were they easy to work with and pretty steady? I have my first wedding cake next Saturday, and have also never had a class, and am planning on using those globes for the cake. Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Again, great job and keep up the good work!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:31pm
post #26 of 39

To help prevent bulging use a tip #12 or just a coupler in a decorating bag, use a stiff buttercream icing and go about 1/4in inside your layer and make a dam then fill no higher than the dam. Place your next layer and crumb coat. Let this set for atleast an hour. That will give the cake time to settle and you'll be able to see if you have any problem areas. If you do you can patch them and then finish decorating.

Happy decorating!

icon_smile.gif d

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:47am
post #27 of 39

It's beautiful!!!!

mjsparkles2001 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 4:08am
post #28 of 39

I liked using the globe pillars. It was the only thing I felt comfortable with .... thats why I need classes, so I can learn how to do the stacking and how to use dowels. These felt very steady to me ... thats why I did them. My only other option was to just stack it on top of each other but again ... I don't really know how to use the dowels so I used the globes. I think it looked good with the design of the cake and everyone was happy and there wasn't a single slice of cake left so I guess I'm happy with it.

My only advice would be to not stress out about it. When I get nervous I don't do as well as when I'm calm and secondly ... remember you are your own worst critic so ease up on yourself icon_smile.gif

Don't forget to do the dam that I didn't do. Don't over whip your buttercream or its really hard to get smooth. And last ... the pillars are kind of hard to cut through so I used a pair of garden shears and it was a lot easier .... hope this helps icon_smile.gif

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 5:58am
post #29 of 39

Wow! I think you did wonderful! Great work!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:56pm
post #30 of 39

You did great . Congrats its beautiful thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%